[gothic-l] Gothic Runes

rhoomegaphi rhoomegaphi at YAHOO.COM
Sat May 28 17:50:02 UTC 2005

Hi I haven't found a discussion here yet about the Gothic variety of
Runes. Is there an inscription somewhere that we could see how the
Goths wrote?

I have found at www.omniglot.com something interesting about Gothic
Runes. Fraujo's Ahtu is the same as Freyja's Aett, and so is Teiws'
Ahtu to Tyr's Aett. Hagls' Ahtu however varies.  Btw, I don't know if
it's accurate or correct to apply the same information to the Gothic
Runes as the Vikings did when we refer to each eight as an aett.

I don't know if it is right or not to think that the Gothic Runes
have the same meanings or not. At www.omniglot.com, the Gothic
Alphabet is also posted. If one could find out the meanings of those
names, which most are similar, then we could learn the meanings of
those runes.

I really like the way that the Gothic runes are different from the
Elder Futhark in some of their designs. I have done searches on the
Gothic Runes, but I keep getting the same erroneous information that
the Gothic Futhark is the same as the Elder Futhark, but with one
extra rune.  This doesn't seem true according to the list of runes at
www.omniglot.com . I think I will e-mail both sources and ask for