Pronunciation of "sk"

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Fri Nov 4 09:15:15 UTC 2005

Hello Don,

Can't say for sure, but I haven't heard of any evidence (e.g. in the
spelling of Gothic personal names by Greek writers) to suggest that
Gothic <sk> had a "sh" pronunciation, e.g. before front vowels.  I
think that at the time of the Gothic bible translation in the 4th
century, this combination had yet to acquire its modern pronunciation
in English and German.  In the Latin epigram De Conviviis Barbaris,
the Gothic or Vandal word 'skapjam' begins with the Roman letters
<sc>, so as far as I know, no indication of palatisation in all
initial positions as later happened in English and German.

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM