About the name Poland

thiudans thiudans at YAHOO.COM
Fri Nov 11 23:18:49 UTC 2005

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts at h...> wrote:

> According to a source I have the name of Poland comes from a slavic
> word pol- that is equal to the germanic fal-. Fal- is a part of some
> city names in Sweden such as Falun and Falköping. I'm not sure what
> stem this word belonged to but a guess would be u-stem. In gothic this
> would be *falus in that case and couldn't we have Faluland for Poland?
> Maybe you think this i way too far and unsimilar to the name in other
> languages...maybe I think so too. This was just a thought that came to
> me right now...
>
> /Fredrik

I know these Gmc. roots:

*fala- "buyable, for sale"
*fal-l- "fall, sink, flee"
*falwa- "pale, yellow, dun, sickly"

But I understand the word Poland to come from *pole "field, flat
land", thus Gmc. *fel†a- "field". The country name could be *Fil†jans
"Field-men", but the Goths only knew *hai†i or *akrs in this sense,
unless the tribal name had been passed down from early times.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM