Neo-gothic poem needs help

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sat Sep 3 13:24:43 UTC 2005

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002 at y...>
wrote:
> Dear llama_nom (is that anything like a pan-Romance "pick a name?")

No, it's a Tibetan-Peruvian mix-up, a sort of dharmic Jeckel & Hyde
(Ogden Nash?: "one L a priest, two Ls a beast").  Originally tried
to be Lama Nom (after a name in a dream), but forgot my first
password.  But if Yahoo Groups was a spaghetti western (and who says
it won't be one day?), then sure, I'd be that noted desperado [Me
Llamo] Nombre, "the man with no name AND a name".

> Also, the accusative 'mik draumeith' was logical and reminded me
of the archaic NHG "mich duenkt" --methinks in English.

My rule of thumb is, never rely on logic when it comes to human
languages.  Just look at what they do.  The Gothic equivalent
of "methinks" takes a dative object as in Icelandic, e.g. Mt 6,7
þugkeiþ im "they think".

> Cleasy & Vigfusson raise another topic: How does it conveniently
happen that precisely those sections of Wulfila got lost?
Coincidence? Methinks not. It's a conspiracy, that's what it is.

I was just impressed by the showing off.  It may not know the
answer, but it knows where the answer WOULD HAVE BEEN.  This in the
days before computer searches.  That's a lot of bible reading,
methinks.

> Second verse under construction:
>
> I dreamt of Greuthung warrior-men
>      Like mice in great cat-claws
> First caught, then freed, then caught again
>      Then slain against our walls.

Mik Griutugge draumida gadrauhtins, swe mus in mikilaim katturampom
frumist gafahanans, þaþroh þan galausidans, þaþroh þan aftra
gafahanans, jah afslahanans wiþra (baurgs)waddjuns unsaros.

> Amal retention.

Boh!

Ll.N.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM