a Gothic poem (verse 3)--syntax, word usage

David Kiltz derdron at GMX.NET
Fri Sep 2 09:28:37 UTC 2005

On 31.08.2005, at 03:00, Le Bateman wrote:

>    Volume I Grimm's Teutonic Mythology. Reprint of the 1876 edition.
> Le

Thank you very much.

llama/ Arthur:
On the note of Gothic 'to dream'. No, I can't find an attested form
either in the Gothic corpus. However, next to _*draum-, draugm-_
consider derivatives of PGerm. _*sweƀnaz_ (swebnaz_). In the OldEngl.
poem 'Dream of the Rood' we find the expression "...swefna ... hwaet
me gemaette", thus, a dream 'that met me'. So Arthur might, perhaps,
as well consider using something like _*swibns_ as 'dream'. As for
impersonal expressions like 'methinks/ mich dünkt', it should be
noted that in (archaizing) NHGerman it's 'mir träumt' with dative,
not accusative. In Icelandic it's the accusative e.g. 'mik dreymdi
draum'.

-David

http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM