More Neologisms

David Kiltz derdron at GMX.NET
Thu Sep 8 22:59:17 UTC 2005

On 08.09.2005, at 23:03, llama_nom wrote:

> And Pliny mentions amber islands called 'Glesiae' (Naturalis
> historia IV, 103).  Tacitus's neuter form agrees perfectly with OE
> glær.  I gather that the <e> in 'glesum' wasn't confined to East
> Germanic in the 1st century.

Isn't _glær_ masculine and _glæs_ neuter ?
As for <e>, Caesar and, more importantly, Tacitus still have _Suebi_
and _Suebia_ (cf. German _Schwaben_) which also points to the
preservation of PGerm. <e> or <æ>. The earliest attestation of  <â>
in West Germanic seems to be in Bavarian 170 AD, although the
evidence is indirect, from sources actually dating to the 4th century
AD. In North Germanic we find <â> from the earliest attestations. Cf.
also such Finnish loanwords as _maanan-_ 'moon' (in _maanan-tai_
'monday') vs a loan from Gothic: _miekka_ 'sword' (Goth. mêki (acc.)).

David

http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM