"yesterday"

OSCAR HERRERA duke.co at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Fri Sep 9 22:53:18 UTC 2005

doesnt af mean before as a cognate before other words....so i thought it mught mean af before and day dag ,before today or perhaps fauradag....im new to the computer so by replying directly to you means your the only one reading it...if so how am i to send my queries to everyone.....oscar

llama_nom <600cell at oe.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRERA wrote:
> i have not come across the gothic version of the word
yesterday...could it be afdag....oscar

Hi Oscar,

If you delete the message you're replying to, when that isn't
relevant to your own, it saves on space (and makes it easier to read
quickly). You can also change the "subject" line if you're starting
a new topic, so that people looking through the archives can tell at
a glance what your message is about.

As far as I know, "yesterday" isn't attested. As you may know, the
cognate of the English word does appear, but with the
meaning "tomorrow" (GISTRADAGIS).

'in þamma afardaga' = "the next day"
'fairnin jera' = "last year"

I suppose * 'fairnin daga' (not attested) might express the idea,
but whether this is actually how Goths said "yesterday", I don't
know.

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM