Yesterday (fram Pawlau Kartneins sunau)

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sat Sep 10 12:34:20 UTC 2005

Þatei was

( afar Fairnin daga, fram Pawlau Kartneins sunau:
http://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/poetry/lennon-mccartney.html )

Þuhta þan þreihsl mein swa fairra mis,
iþ nu fanþ ik þatei wisiþ þis;
O, traua ik du þammei was.

Suns mis warþ; ni im manna saei faurþis was;
hahiþ ufar mis hva riqizis;
O þatei warþ, qam suns at mis.

Duhve mik bilaiþ si, ik ni wait;
Mis ni gataih.
Ik hva unraiht qaþ jah nu gairnja þizei was.

Friaþwa, fairna was mis swa azets dags;
þarf nu stadis þarei filhan mag
O, traua ik du þammei was.

Duhve mik bilaiþ si, ik ni wait;
Mis ni gataih.
Ik hva unraiht qaþ jah nu gairnja þizei was.

Friaþwa, fairna was mis swaleiks azets dags;
þarf nu stadis þarei filhan mag
O, traua ik du þammei was.

Notes, liberties, etc.

þatei wisiþ þis.  Desperate partitive genitive for sake of rhyme.
Supposed to mean "that there is staying [something] of that / this",
i.e. that a certain amount of trouble is "here to stay".  Apologies
to songwriters and 4th century bishops everywhere.

...fairna was mis swaleiks azets dags.  Intended to mean: "yesterday
was such an easy day for me."  `Friaþwa', just setting the context
and not syntactically related.  Ignoring the metre, the closest I
got was: "Fairnin daga friaþwa swaleiks azets mis was laiks."

http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM