Gepanta - *gabideis ??

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sat Apr 1 21:57:19 UTC 2006

Gepidae (Jordanes chapters 33, 73-74, 94-97, 99, 100, 113, 133).
Go. *Gibidans, masculine an-stem pl. (OE Gifðas, Gefðas).

Could the original meaning have been `the fortunate ones'?  cf. OE
gifeðe `granted (by fate); fate, chance'; and the tribal name of one
group of Vandals, the Silingi = *Selingos?, perhaps related to Go.
sels "good", OE sælig, OIc. sæll "fortunate".  Maybe the insulting
meaning "slow" applied to the Gepids could be exaplained as a
euphemistic development parallel to English 'silly'
formerly "simple/innocent", before that "blessed" and "fortunate".

Just a wild guess.

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "akoddsson" <konrad_oddsson at ...>
wrote:

> Hails Thiudans.
>
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "thiudans" <thiudans at y...> wrote:
> >
> > More on Gepanta - Gepid:
> >
> > Cleasby/Vigfusson have an entry:
> >
> > "GAUFA, að, (and gauf, n., gaufari, a, in.), to saunter, be
> sluggish, freq. akin to gafi, cp. Goth, gepanta in a reference by
> Jornandes -- iiam lingua eoruin 'pigra' gepanta dicitur, whence '
> Gcpidi, ' the name of an ancient Teut. people."
> >
> > Gaufa in OIc. should have shown Go. *gaupan - gaupanda. Or? The
> greek word for Gepids (Gepaides) shows a long e (eta) on the first
> syllable and an acute tone or accent on the penult.
>
> > Any other explanations for the Gepids' name?
>
> Later scholar (Jon Helgason, for example) reconstruct the norse
form
> as *gefdar or *gefdir (if an i-stem), citing OE, etc.. Now, on the
> surface at least, this seems more realistic to me. The name seems
> probable, at least to me, as from what we know about germanic folk
> in general from these times, they placed high value on generosity
> and nobility, praising high ranking folk for being generous and
mild
> with food, gifts (weapons, jewelry, etc.). Whether right or wrong,
> *gefdar or *gefdir would seem a culturally appropriate name.
>
> One issue which puzzles me is the reconstruction of the goths'
name
> for their own tongue, *gutiska. On the face of it, this adjectival
> form would seem inappropriate when compared with other germanic
> tongues, where a fem. on-stem is prefered (nominal). Would not the
> form *gutisko (oblique -on) make more sense?
>
> Regards,
> Konrad
>
> > --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, jdm314 at a... wrote:
> > >
> > > jdm31- at aol.com wrote: