Symposium

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Sat Apr 1 23:22:27 UTC 2006

Hi folks,

If it happens somebody might be interested I will give some closer
information about the earlier in passing  mentioned symposium.

I am relatively newly appointed chairman of an organisation called
Historieforum Västra Götaland, intended to support  historical and
archaeological resarch including diverse related sciences like
linguistics, history of religion, history of arts et c. We also are
independent publishers and publish both  books about new research in
the mentioned disciplines and a historical magazine - HistorieForum-
magazine of historical debate. I am editor of it all and have been
since a number of years. We  have not arranged a major symposium since
2000 but now it is time again.

CULT, GOLD AND POWER
A symposium intended to coordinate in an interdisciplinary way results
from several separate disciplines during the last 20 years or so to
get a united picture of the Iron age from the late Bronze Age and up
to and including the Viking Period and the early Christendom. All
lectures will later be published and with English summaries. The
symposium takes place in Götene at Kinnekulle mountain, Västergötland,
Sweden 18-20 august 2006. All interested will get closer information
if they mail me personally. The lectures are held in Scandinavian
languages but if enough interest is at hand I will provide English
summaries  for hand out at the symposium. The invitations with
detailed information to the general publicum will be released during
april.

Here follow the lectures:
Alkarp, Magnus, Grad.stud.arch., Uppsala: The Problem of Gamla Uppsala
church
Brandt, Troels, Cand. Merc. Aud, Farum: The Rökstone – Riddles and
answers
Hagberg, Ulf Erik, Ph.D.,f. Dir. of SHM in Stockholm,arch., Uppsala:
>From shining  bronze shields at lake Vänern to sacrifice-finds at
Skedemosse  on Öland.
Helmbrecht, Michaela, Grad.stud.arch., Dresden: Of horned helmets and
Odins’ warriors
Henriksson, Göran, Ph.D.,astroarch., Uppsala: The National sacrifice
and the howes of Uppsala.
Hultgård, Anders,Ph.D., Prof., Hist.of Religion, Uppsala: The language
of  the cult – ritual forms and and ritual gestures in old
Scandinavian religion.
Hyenstrand-Bergström, Eva, Ph.D.,Doc.Skövde: Gold and graves
Hyenstrand, Åke, Ph.D.,emer.Prof. arch.,Skövde: Cult and
Power-expression for the same thing?
Kaliff, Anders, Ph.D.,Doc.,Ass.dep.chief, RAÄ,UV, arch., Linköping:
Gravehouse, culthouse or temple? - Reflektions of repeated finds of an
ancient artifact  and possible interpretation.
Klos, Lydia, Grad.stud, Kiel: Lady of the rings – The women of the
Iron Age between power and cult.
Larsson,  Lars, Ph.D.,Prof.arch.,Lund: Culthouse and Cultplace in
Uppåkra. More than 600 years of rites and ceremonies at a centraplace
in Skåne.
Nielsen, Hans Frede,Dr.Phil., Prof.ling., Odense: Goths, Gautar and
Heruls. Ethnological and languagehistorical wanderings.
Nyberg, Tore, Ph.D.Teol.D.HC.,emer.prof.,hist.,Odense: Recognition of
an early transition phase in the Christianization of Scandinavia.
Nordgren, Ingemar, Ph.D., hist, Källby :Cult and Cultsymbols as an
indication of secular power.
Nordqvist, Bengt, Ph.D.Dep.chief, RAÄ,UV, arch.,Kungsbacka: The
warboot sacrifical sites of Västergötland- a renewed analysis.
Quist, Ove MA, arch, Råbäck: The Gold in Västergötland.
Ralph, Bo, Ph.D., Prof.ling.Göteborg: The inscription of the Rök stone
– Goths or Riddles?
Tesch, Sten, Ph.D., Dir.of the museums of Sigtuna, arch.: The King,
Christ and Sigtuna- the place where gold and humans met.
Thrane, Henrik, Dr.Phil., emer.Prof, arch., Aarhus: The goldrich
Migration Period of Gudme after 20 years research.
Watt, Margrethe, Ph.D., f. Dir. of the museum of Bornholm, arch,
Dyssegaard: What do they say? Can you understand the sign language of
the guldgubbar.

Best greetings
Ingemar – the moderator.