Uodalricus

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Thu Apr 20 20:32:37 UTC 2006

Bear in mind though that in modern English spelling, Ethel- is often
used in names to represent Old English Æþel- / Æðel-.  Even in Old
English texts, forms beginning with e may represent a short vowel
like the standard West Saxon æ, since these were confused in some
dialects.  Very early West Saxon sometimes uses e with a hook under
it to represent the low front vowel that is later spelt æ.  The
scribes used accent marks sometimes, but not consistently to mark
vowel length.  So if you see an "Ethelric" it may well be the same
name as Æþelric.  Only if Eþelric occured in a manuscript that
otherwise kept æ and e distinct would it suggest that this was the
OE equivalent of Uodalric, as opposed to the better attested Æþelric.

Anyway, if there was an OE name Wodric, the regular form in Gothic
would be *Wodareiks.

LN