Name of the Goths

dciurchea dciurchea at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 2 00:12:00 UTC 2006

Hi,
May I comment that in the middle ages the name of the Getic people
(Dacian, Wallackian, Romanian)was transformed into "gothic":
IORDANIS - DE ORIGINE ACTIBUSQUE GETARUM  transformed
into "Jordannes-Origins and deeds of the goths".
Caludian - "De bello Getico" transformed into 'de bello gotico'.
The substitution became customary in Gibbon's History of Rome.It
appears to have served the austrian-hungarian imperial political
interests.

The confusion may be traced in the (eastern) antiquity:
"Here we shall note only that, according to Julius Capitolinus, the
father of Maximinus was a Goth. Maximinus never learned to speak
Greek and, in his youth, hardly knew any Latin but spoke to the
emperor (Alexander Severus) in "almost pure Thracian" "
(http://forum.skycode.com/topic.asp?whichpage=11&topic_id=49183)
-Observe there that "goths" spoke thracian- i.e. they were actually
GETS.

Moreover one may found unreliable assignments of gothic(germanic)
presence in Transylvania at the site of the famous "Erdely
Tortenete"(History of Transylvania) . A most famous and useful link:
http://mek.oszk.hu/02100/02109/html/17.html
There you may find that in 168 AD the east german tribe
of "Victovaloke" settled in the neigborhood of Vlaha(Wlacha)! (the
obvious reading Victo Valoke - The Romans vainquished the Wallachians
(Walaks/Waloks) during the 168 riot of the free dacians was routed
towards a fantasy).

Other assignements may be found at:
http://mek.niif.hu/03400/03407/html/26.html
You may find other interesting (unreliable in my opinion)
interpretations there. They have an english (incomplete)translation
at: http://mek.niif.hu/03400/03407/html/1.html

A discussion of linguistic errors (mainly in the Romania area) may
be found at: http://www.gandirea.ro/linguistic_history_errors.php

sincerely,
D. Ciurchea

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <d.faltin at ...> wrote:

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar@>
> wrote:
> >

> > Hi Dirk,
> >
> > Could you demonstrate a big flowing stream that explains the
island
> > name of Gutland/Gotland or Eastern Gautland?
>

> Hi Ingemar,
>
> there is also no 'big flowing stream' at Gutinge (Göttingen) or
villa
> Gotaha (Gotha). Apparently, all that is neede is 'a flowing
water'.
> In fact, the modern German word Gosse refers to a small stream of
> water, but I think that Old Saxon Guta and Eastfalian Göte refers
> only to flowing water.
>
> My question to you is what evidence is there that the root of the
> name Goths, i.e. *geutan has to refer to the flowing of semen,
rather
> than the flowing of water?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dirk