Name of the Goths

dciurchea dciurchea at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 2 16:45:53 UTC 2006

This is a nice interpretation. By using a Thracian connection (as
reflected in today's Romanian) the significance of the name of the
Gets is included in the expression "get-beget" which means of clear
origin (Example: one may be "get-beget" German i.e. 100%, or both
parents were germans and so). One must note one more very 'gothic'
custom of Romanians, as fair descendants of Gets(Thracians): the
preocupation for the ancestry, reflected in such words with the indo-
european root 'moshe':

moasha - old woman
mosh - old man
moshie - country of origin
moshtenire - heritage
moashte - remains (bones) of saints; today it is understood these
are holly;

These habits were nicely routed by the christian church(both
orthodoxian and catholic) in the cult of relics of the saints, as
having healing and other miraculous properties. Even today in
Romania we have huge pilgrimages (6 days and nights of queue is
customary); I believe this aspect was important in shaping the
religious life of the Gets (or Goths to be christianized).

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "John Larsson" <john.larsson at ...>