Name of the Goths

akoddsson konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 3 08:14:41 UTC 2006

Hails Michael.

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michael Erwin <merwin at ...> wrote:

> Agreed, 7500 years is too long.
>
> I'm not familiar with Gotlandic archaeaology. Is it possible that
> many settlers came from the Vistula to the island in the first
> several centuries A.D. and simply carried the name with them?

The other way around, I think, is more logical. To begin with, the
Germanic archeaological record on Gotland is older than the Vistula
culture, which is supposed to show marked similarity (see archeaology
of Gotland, Vistula, Wielbark culture, etc.) as regards material
culture, disposal of the dead, etc.. Also, the fact that Gotland has
been continually inhabited by a Gothic folk, as well as it bearing the
name Gotland itself, is highly suggestive of older inhabitation there,
while the Vistula-region's culture had a much shorter lifespan and
then simply disappeared (we don't even know when, exactly). Now, the
capital of the Gothic Vistula-region culture is named in Norse sources
as A:rheimar, a very convincing name of older type (ON names in heimar
being generally archaic). It means 'river-homes' or 'homes at the
river', being suggestive of a settlement (group of houses) around or
at a river. I think that this name is in all likelihood correct, as it
shows none of the hallmarks of later name-innovation. Now, if the
Vistula-culture were really older than Gotland (not born out by the
archeaological record, see that for further reference), why would it
not have a name like Gotland? On the whole, I think that the very name
Gotland itself, along with its continuous inhabitation, is indicative
of centrality for Goths. It is interesting that no other region later
inhabited by the emigrant Goths receives this special name. I suspect
that the reason may lie in it already have been taken in use as the
name of the Goth's original homeland. If this is the case, then it is
easy to understand how the name could have become synonymous in song
and oral history (not extant in Gothic, however) amongst the emigrant
Goths with their ancestral origins, and that to apply the name to a
new area, regardless of how many Goths lived there, might have seemed
absurd. Given that there are no records about this subject of any kind
(other than the voiceless archeaology, suggesting Gotland as the older
Gothic settlement), however, I think it important to steer away from
wild theories and instead take a sober look at what is most probable:
that Gotland, with its tell-tale name and older archealogy, as well as
special linguistic links to Gothic, was likely the center/nucleous of
the oldest Gothic culture, which then gradually broadened over time.

Regards,
Konrad