Name of the Goths

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Thu Aug 3 19:10:23 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michael Erwin <merwin at ...> wrote:

> I understand that the Vistulan (Weilbark) Gothic culture predates its
> Scandinavian, if not its Gotlandish, parallels. If the mainland had
> not been Slavicised - if the mainland had preserved most Gothic place-
> names - then we could compare Vistulan and Gotlandish place-names.
> But it was, so we can't.

Hi Michael,

The Wielbark does not predate the Scandinavian parallels. The Stone
circles around BC or slightly later began in Scandinavia at least
about 675 BC and were in use till the 500's AD and, as Kaliff shows,
we had intensive contacts with that area already during the late
Bronce Age (the Lusatian Culture).

Best
Ingemar