Name of the Goths

akoddsson konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Sat Aug 5 12:45:23 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michael Erwin <merwin at ...> wrote:

> Thanks, but the Celtic languages (for example) do not survive
around their Central-European birthplaces. None of us know why one
language sometimes replaces another language and sometimes does not.
I'm not too familar with early Weilbark archaeology but Heather
1998, pp. 25-26 states that:

> "Only one feature of the earlier phase of the Weilbark culture,
the appearance of stone circles in cemeteries (27 had been
identified by 1983), was practices earlier in Scandinavia than on
the European  mainland. ..."

> Basically he argues that the Oksywie culture develops into the
Weilbark culture, and that many late Oksywie cemeteries are early
Weilbark cemeteries, and that historical sources put the Goths on
the Vistula by the late first century, phase B1b, while the stone
circles appear in the early second century, phase B2 (though much
earlier in  Scandinavia).

'historical sources put the Goths on the Vistula by the late first
century...', but from where? As Tore mentioned, Gutland was already
an important center of trade during the bronze age. Heather argues
that the Oksywie culture 'developes' into the wielbark culture, but
this talk of development suggests that differences, as shown in the
archeaological record of these two cultures, must be accounted for.
Not surprisingly, there is talk of stone circles. Of course, there
need be no talk of 'development' or radical change if the Vistula-
Goths burial practices were simply assumed to continue the Gothic
burial practices found earlier on Gutland, as they match. It should
hardly come as a surprise, then, that the Vistula is immeadiately
opposite Gutland, as the map indicates. Furthermore, it should not
come as a surprise that the Vistula-folk called themselves Goths, as
this is what the folk on Gutland would have been called. Indeed, it
seems clear that Gothic settlements were built up around the Vistula
and that these became, at some point, rather significant. Likewise,
it seems clear that they represented an expansion of the Gothic folk
outside of Gutland, which the archeaological record shows to be the
older settlement, being a major trading center even in the bronze
age. Clearly, expanding into Sweden or Gautland was not an option,
as these areas were fully occupied. Indeed, both Sweden and Gautland
are replete with bronze age (and earlier) archeaological sites. The
logical option would have been to build just across the water at the
Vistula. Lastly, one hardly needs to mention that birth-control was
not an option then. And the Goths expand...

Regards,
Konrad