Using DNA to find Goths

authurn2002 harry at CPT.CO.UK
Thu Aug 24 13:16:12 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002 at ...> wrote:

Hi Arthur,

What I mean is one must either compare ancient with ancient or modern
with modern, because of the way the y chromosone develops.

For example, a good place to start looking for a marker would be in
Haplogroup I. It is widespread throughout Europe but virtually absent
elsewhere. It developed in southern europe and spread northwards after
the Last Glacial Maximum. It exists in high frequencies in the
germanic world and is low in Italy and Iberia.

HGI has several developments of its own, the most common being, I1a,
I1b and I1c.

I1a originated in Franco-Cantabria and spread to northwestern Europe
after the Last Glacial Maximum. Its maximum frequency today is in
Norwegians (38.9%) and is frequent in Scandinavia and Germany (25%)

I1b is divided into I1b2, frequent in Sardinia and the Basque country,
and undifferentiated I1b*, with a wide distribution and higher
frequency, and a primary focus in the eastern Balkans (up to 40% in
Bosnians). I1b* originated somewhere between the Adriatic and the
Black Sea.

I1c is correlated with I1a and shares a common haplotype with it,
indicating a shared history of the two. Maximum frequency of 12.5% in
Germans.

It is however the timing of these developments which is difficult. The
changes can be thought of as HGI being the trunk of a tree and the
later developments as being the branches and the twigs.

Each of the above has several more recent developments which brings us
very roughly into the migration period age. Even if one was lucky
enough to find one of these later developments common to say 3 ancient
graves, it would still be too widespread to be of much use.

We can't match such ancient dna with modern dna because the modern
material contains yet more developments.

Modern populations provide better matches precisely because of this.

cheers

authurn
a resident of elmet