Gothic compared to other germanic languages

thiudans thiudans at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 29 20:09:40 UTC 2006

Hails Fredrik!

For changes in later Gothic, compare Busbecq's description of Crimean
Gothic.

For composite form of 'fon', compare:

Baurgswaddjus (baurgs < baurhs* fem. cons. stem), using either an
innovative nominative or a genitive
Nahtamats (nahts + mats), naht-a- has a thematic vowel borrowed from the
first strong declension. Also anomolous with nahts is the dat pl. -am
for cons. decl. -im
Alh- may appear in some personal names, but it is unsure.
Other consonantal stems seem not to appear in composite: brusts, dulths,
miluks, mitads, waihts

I would therefore conclude funins- or fun-a/i-.  But I would also
suggest considering other words for fire: branda, brunsts, blesi, aida.
Not sure which word for storm would be best: skura, staurms, wegs;
probably the first.