'Artificial Language'

Michael Erwin merwin at BTINTERNET.COM
Sun Dec 3 06:30:21 UTC 2006

Hails,

Ik im ussiggwands Patrick Amory, "People and Identity in Ostrogothic
Italy, 489-554." Jah meljandaries qitham ei Wulfila skapjau ain razda
"far removed from any common parlance when it was written" (p. 239).
Nu anthar meljandarjos qithand samaleiko. Ak ni frathja hwaiwa wisai.
Jabai Wulfila sokidedi ain ainbruka aiklessiatuggo, habidedi
Graikarazda jah Latina(razda).

The word order usually follows the Greek. The vocabulary is of course
very Gothic. The dative absolute has Greek and Latin parallels, not
Germanic ones. The remnant dual doesn't fit the 'artificial language'
hypothesis. It could fit the 'specialized language' hypothesis.

The order of books (in Argenteus) is western; many readings are
western; some readings are unique. (I have no Vetus Latina text but
1st Timothy 1:10 matches Vulgate structure while contradicting
Vulgate meaning; I understand it doesn't match any known Greek text).