Gothic Reading (Was 'Artificial Language')

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Mon Dec 4 02:05:30 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michael Erwin <merwin at ...> wrote:
> >
> > Hails,
> >
> > Ik im ussiggwands Patrick Amory, "People and Identity in
Ostrogothic
> > Italy, 489-554." Jah meljandaries qitham ei Wulfila skapjau ain
razda
> > "far removed from any common parlance when it was written" (p.
239).
> > Nu anthar meljandarjos qithand samaleiko. Ak ni frathja hwaiwa
wisai.
> > Jabai Wulfila sokidedi ain ainbruka aiklessiatuggo, habidedi
> > Graikarazda jah Latina(razda).
>
> Hails Michael!
>
> Here's my guess at one way to express this in Gothic (no doubt
there
> are other possibilities, equally convincing if not more so): Ik
> (us)siggwa / Ik anakunna ...  Jah meljands qaþ/qiþiþ/melida þatei
> Wulfila gaskapida razda ((þo) sei razdai gamainjai fairra afhabaiþ
> sik).  Anþarai meljands nu samaleiko qiþand.  Akei ni fraþja hvaiwa
> magi swa wisan.  Jabai Wulfila tuggon sokidedi inniujida ei fram
> aikkljesjon ainai brukidedi, duhve nih Kreke razda nih Rumone ni
> gawalidedi?

Hailai!

I was wondering if ussiggwan means more specifically "to read
aloud", "to recite" whereas anakunnan is "to read silently" or
just "to read" without any further specification. Afaik both words
translate the same Greek, namely ANAGINWSKEIN, ANAGNWNAI. I've tried
to compare the examples. Below are some results.

Non-prefixed siggwan stands both for AiDEIN "to sing" (Eph.5:19;
Col.3:16) and ANAGNWNAI "to read":

L.4:16 jah usstoþ siggwan books / KAI ANESTH ANAGNWNAI (in this case
definitely "to read aloud")

2.Cor.3:15 akei und hina dag miþþanei siggwada Moses / ALL' hEWS
SHMERON hHNIKA AN ANAGINWSKHTAI MWUSHS (most likely so, too)

Eph.3:4 duþþe ei siggwandans mageiþ fraþjan frodein meinai in runai
Xristaus / PROS hO DUNASQE ANAGINWSKONTES NOHSAI THN SUNESIN MOU EN
TWi MUSTHRIWi TOU CRISTOU (and here it's quite not so clear
implicitly whether this reading is a communal event or a private
occupation. BTW, a good example on runa. Be it a runic symbol, how
runa Xristaus would look like? Like chi-rho amalgam?

I'd suppose siggwan "to read" is probably back-formed from
ussiggwan, being its non-perfective pendant.

Now the examples of ussiggan:

L.6:3 ni þata ussuggwud þatei gatawida Daweid / OUDE TOUTO ANEGNWTE
hO EPOIHSEN DAUID; and

Mc.2:25 niu ussuggwuþ aiw hva gatawida Daweid / OUDEPOTE ANEGNWTE TI
EPOIHSEN DAUID may both refer to a recitation of the Scriptures in
synagogues.

Col.4:16 jah þan ussiggwaidau at izwis so aipistaule, taujaiþ ei jah
in Laudekaion aikklesjon ussiggwaidau, jah þoei ist us Laudeikaion,
jus ussiggwaid / KAI hOTAN ANAGNWSQHi PAR' hUMIN hH EPISTOLH,
POIHSATE hINA KAI EN THi LAODIKEWN EKKLHSIAi ANAGNWSQHi KAI THN EK
LAODIKEIAS hINA KAI hUMEIS ANAGNWTE. Assuming that not all of the
early Christians were literate, the epistles were to be read aloud
in ecclesia.

1.Thess.5:27 ei ussiggwaidau so aipistaule þaim weiham broþrum /
[ENORKIZW hUMAS TON KURION] ANAGNWSQHNAI THN EPISTOLHN PASIN TOIS
ADELFOIS. The same is probably here. Note also the translation of
the Greek infinitive with ei + subjunctive.

L.10:26 in witoda hva gameliþ ist? hvaiwa ussiggwis? / EN TWi NOMWi
TI GEGRAPTAI; PWS ANAGINWSKEIS; Note the present tense. Maybe, Jesus
was pointing at the lines in a scroll asking the lawyer to read them
aloud?

It was also used as a gloss (niu ussuggwuþ) to Gal.4:21 þata witoþ
niu hauseiþ? TON NOMON OUK AKOUETE. Streitberg says it's after Lat.
legistis. A public recitation may also be implied here.

Now, what's with anakunnan? Formally, doesn't it seem that this is a
calque from the Greek? The examples are:

2.Cor.1:13 unte ni alja meljam izwis, alja þoei anakunnaiþ aiþþau
jah ufkunnaiþ / OU GAR ALLA GRAFOMEN hUMIN ALL' H hA ANAGINWSKETE H
KAI EPIGINWSKETE (probably to preserve the Greek parallelism of
ANAGINWSKETE:EPIGINWSKETE). The emphasis lies on inner
acknowledgement of what is read. It could be a private reading.

2.Cor.3:2 aipistaule unsara jus sijuþ,... kunþa jah anakunnaida fram
allaim mannam / hH EPISTOLH hHMWN hUMEIS ESTE,... GINWSKOMENH KAI
ANAGINWSKOMENH hUPO PANTWN ANQRWPWN (same is here)

One more example of "reading" is Mc.12:26 niu gakunnaideduþ ana
bokom Mosezis ana aihvatundjai / OUK ANEGNWTE EN THi BIBLWi MWUSEWS
EPI TOU BATOU, which actually contradicts all the above said, as the
context is the same as in L.6:3 and Mc.2:25. Why not niu ussuggwuþ?

But maybe no difference was actually being made between "to read
silently" and "to read aloud", both meanings were possible with both
verbs, only that anakunnan was a rarer and "nobler" word used
exclusively when it was necessary to create a parallel to another –
kunnan? Etymologically, it seems difficult to connect a private
reading with "singing". Probably, such a reading was a not so
typical thing in those times, "to read" meant mostly "to read before
a public"?

Ualarauans