About Villemann og Magnhild

Rydwlf mitsuhippon at YAHOO.COM
Sun Dec 3 22:11:35 UTC 2006

Hails Llama,

  Thank you for pointing that. I think you are right. So I will leave it as "skáunists" then. I even prefer it for rhytmhic reasons :)

  Thanks again!

  Rydwlf.

llama_nom <600cell at oe.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> I agree with your suggestions of skauns* compared with fagrs. My
choice was based in the similarity with Norwegian "fagraste". Using
skáuns* would yield skáunosts as superlative, if I'm right.

Hi Rydwlf,

I think the superlative would be 'skáunists' for this one, as it was
probably an i-stem (cf. Finnish 'kaunis' and the umlaut in Modern
German 'schön'). Attested forms are: skaunjai, -skaunjamma, which
could in theory point to i-stem, ja-stem or u-stem -- but the Finnish
loan points to it having orgininally been an i-stem.

LN