Some pronunciation questions

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 1 08:38:55 UTC 2006

In http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/lrc/eieol/gotol-1.html#Got01_GP02
it sais alot bout pronunciation. Some that is not as I learned this
far. I guess it aint easy to know for real how it was pronounced, but
anyway. If anyone read this, what can you say bout it?

Here's some I think is not for sure:
g   [x], ch as in 'Bach'   finally, or before s, t.
This means dags and dag is pronounced with [x] but daga and dagis with
[g].

D is [ð] and b is [v] medially after vowel or diphthong.
OK for ð, but b as v...that means hlaiba has [v].
Well, this also means naubaimbair has v...but that's a exception.

E [ē], a as in 'gate'...as far as I know 'gate' is not pronounced as
[gēt] but more as [geit]...and I don't think they mean that mena is
pronounced as [meina].

H [x], ch as in 'Bach'....this goes for the combination ht and initial
with hr, hl etc. but alone? I wouldn't say hunds as [xunds].

W as [u] when final...this I can agree with, but didn't know...is this
like this? Waúrstw as [worstu]???

Iu [íu], eu as in 'reuse'. Isn't this two syllables? If it's two then
it aint no diphthong as I think it should be.
I might be totaly wrongm but I thought iu was pronounced more as [ju]
as in use...no [i] as in re-. Biudan as [bíuðan] or as [bjuðan]???

OK...tell me what you think bout this...

/Fredrik