Beginner Pronounciation

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Wed Feb 8 20:47:24 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "mynekoears" <mynekoears at ...> wrote:

> I just joined this group begins Im trying to teach myself gothic.  I
> stumbled upon this website,:
>  http://members.terracom.net/~dorothea/david/gothic/index.html
>
> And am on lesson two.  I find it very intresting, and that website
is
> helpful.  However, it doesnt tell me the correct pronouciation of
the
> words.  Does anyone know a site that has the correct pronouciations?
> Thanks.

Ah, if only I did...  There are a few uncertainties over Gothic
pronunciation.  Still, the experts agree on a broad outline.  There's
a basic uncluttered explanation in Joseph Wright's "Grammar of the
Gothic Language", which is a good place to start.

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/germanic/goth_wright_about.html#ima
ges

See page 4 onwards.  Use the scanned pages (tiff or png); the HTML
versions are done automatically and haven't been proofread yet, so
they're a bit garbled.  You might also find the "Gothic Online" course
useful.

http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/lrc/eieol/gotol-TC.html

Although, as you can see from my recent posts to this group, it's not
always as clear and logical as it could be.  In contrast to David
Salo's course, this takes its examples from the actual Gothic texts
that have survived.  If you read German, there's Wilhelm
Braune's "Gotische Grammatik".

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/germanic/goth_braune_about.html#ima
ges

See page 1 onwards.  This has more detail than Wright and explains
more of the reasoning behind the reconstructed pronunciation, as well
as citing more differing viewpoints.  Braune is more cautious in some
ways and leaves some questions open without expressing a preferrence.
Another German book is Wilhelm Streitberg's "Gotisches Elementarbuch".

http://www.wulfila.be/lib/streitberg/1920/

See page 44 onwards.  Lots of interesting detail and a somewhat
different interpretation of the evidence.