Gothic Online (a course by Todd B Krause and Jonathan Slocum)

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Thu Feb 16 22:25:17 UTC 2006

> Lesson 4
>
> "In Luke 4.3 we find a nominative form sunáus instead of the
proper
> nominative sunus 'son'; a similar form diabuláus replaces the
proper
> nominative diabulus in Luke 4.5. It is likely that, shortly after
> the time of Wulfila (if not before), the diphthong áu was
> monophthongized and subsequently indistinguishable from u, leading
> to occasional scribal confusion."
>
> The fluctuation between <u> and <au> is confined to certain cases
of
> the singular of u-stem nouns (the nominative is almost always -
us),
> and is usually seen as a specific morphological change, rather
than
> a general phonetic one.  There is no regular confusion between <u>
> and <au> elsewhere in stressed or unstressed syllables.  Whether
or
> when /áu/ was monophthongised is another question...

Actually anomalous <au> for <u>, or vice versa, is found in all
cases of the u-stem singular, but especially the acc. and voc.

nom. x4
voc. x8
acc. x10
gen. x5
dat. x3

There are similar examples of confusion between <au> and <u> in both
roots and inflections of foreign names and loanwords.  But they are
not generally confused, as far as I know, in the roots of native
Gothic words, nor in verbal inflections, nor in the plural of u-
stems, as might be expected if <u> and <au> had merged in
pronunciation.