Some thoughts about endings etc.

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Tue Feb 21 15:43:17 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts at ...> wrote:

> The english ending -er on verbs, making them nouns in such words
as
> bringer, lover, jumper etc. has equal endings in gothic like -
areis, -
> ands/-andi and perhaps also -ja.
>
> Is it right that the ending -ja (masc. weak) can this meaning?
> Like garahnja from garahnjan. And is it also possible to just have
> the ending -a in some words?

Yes, e.g. nuta "fisher".

> About the other endings, which is most common and which do you
prefer?

Not sure, but I think I read somewhere that -ja is commoner than the
those others.  I wonder if that depends on whether you include -ands
declined as an adjective as well as as an nd-stem (see next).  As
for preference, I'd look first at whether there were any parallels
in cognate languages for that particular word or anything like it.

> I use the ending -ands mostly, but I don't realy know how to use
it.
> Should I use it as nd-stem like frijonds and nasjands, ro should I
> use em like adjectives with nd-endings?
> E.g. bringer = briggands, which could be interpreted as 'the
bringing
> one' and in that case 'bringing' is an adjective.

There is some fluctuation here, e.g. Iohannis þis daupjandins,
Iohannen þana daupjand (Streitberg 321).  But personally, if I was
making up a new noun like this, I'd go with the nd-stem option to
avoid confusion.

> I also have a word question for you.
>
> A word for meal, which in oe was melu and comes from wgmc melwan.
> Could this have an equalent in gothic?
> Has the word melwan come from malwjan via i-umlaut?
> I saw gothic had a word for grind that was gamalwjan and began to
> think it might be so...If not. could the word have become milwan
in
> gothic (and the verb might not be necessary though a similar word
> exist). But the noun meal has come from pgmc *melwa- according to
> runeberg. This make sense that oe has melu and swedish has mjöl.
> I have no idea what gender this is etc. but in gothic I think this
> word would be like milw- and if it is, let's say masc. it could be
> milws or, used as wa-stem, milus (gen. milwis). If it is neutre it
> would be milw or milu (gen. milwis). Any ideas about this???
> Maybe there already is a word for this, but I haven't found any
with
> this meaning, only some with close similarity.

Neuter wa-stem = Go. *milw.  And 'meal' as in 'mealtime' = Go. mel.

> What do you know about the name of swedes?
> In wikipedia it says the pgmc word could have been swihoniz or
> sweoniz. If it was swihoniz this would have been swaíhans in
gothic
> and if it was sweoniz it would have been swians.
> I guess they are masc. n-stems both?
> I have seen some other suggestions in gothic such as sweos (pl.)
and
> swijans...what do you think about this???
>
> /Fredrik

Konrad wrote something about this name a while back [
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Theudiskon/message/767 ].