Gepanta - *gabideis ?? and *gutiska vs.*gutisko

akoddsson konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 2 18:26:08 UTC 2006

Hails Thiudans.

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "thiudans" <thiudans at y...> wrote:

> More on Gepanta - Gepid:
>
> Cleasby/Vigfusson have an entry:
>
> "GAUFA, að, (and gauf, n., gaufari, a, in.), to saunter, be
sluggish, freq. akin to gafi, cp. Goth, gepanta in a reference by
Jornandes -- iiam lingua eoruin 'pigra' gepanta dicitur, whence '
Gcpidi, ' the name of an ancient Teut. people."

> Gaufa in OIc. should have shown Go. *gaupan - gaupanda. Or? The
greek word for Gepids (Gepaides) shows a long e (eta) on the first
syllable and an acute tone or accent on the penult.

> Any other explanations for the Gepids' name?

Later scholar (Jon Helgason, for example) reconstruct the norse form
as *gefdar or *gefdir (if an i-stem), citing OE, etc.. Now, on the
surface at least, this seems more realistic to me. The name seems
probable, at least to me, as from what we know about germanic folk
in general from these times, they placed high value on generosity
and nobility, praising high ranking folk for being generous and mild
with food, gifts (weapons, jewelry, etc.). Whether right or wrong,
*gefdar or *gefdir would seem a culturally appropriate name.

One issue which puzzles me is the reconstruction of the goths' name
for their own tongue, *gutiska. On the face of it, this adjectival
form would seem inappropriate when compared with other germanic
tongues, where a fem. on-stem is prefered (nominal). Would not the
form *gutisko (oblique -on) make more sense?

Regards,
Konrad

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, jdm314 at a... wrote:
> >
> > jdm31- at aol.com wrote:
> > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=785
> > >
> > > Gepanta (gepantus?) is obviously later Latin.
> > > Cannot find it in my Latin-Swedish dictionary.
> > > Am contacting an expert in the field to see
> > > what he comes up with.
> >
> > 	It occurs in the Getica, which is supposed to have been
> published in551 AD, so yes, it is late. Furthermore, it isn't
Latin, it's a supposedly Gothic word quoted in a Latin text.
Therefore it is not surprising if you cannot find it.