*gutiska vs.*gutisko

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Tue Jan 3 01:08:57 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at o...> wrote:

> Supposing the Goths' name for their own language was a feminine on-
> stem noun though, can you think of any way of chosing between:
> *gutisko (Swedish 'gutiska' "Gothic"), or *gutanisko, or *gutnisko
> (Icelandic 'gotneska' "Gothic", Swedish 'gutniska' "Gotlandish")?  I
> don't know how much we can read into the Latin form 'gothones',
> whether this shows that *guta had an uncontracted plural *gutans, or
> if it's just the Latin ending -ones added to the root 'goth'.  But
> if the plural was *gutans, maybe *gutanisko is preferable.  Does
> continental West Germanic offer any clues here?
>
> Llama Nom

Hi,

The oldest form that was used was indeed Gutones (Plinius: Gudones)
and  when talking of later gutniska (gotländska) it seems rather
fitting also for general Gothic like the Ic. gotneska. I think
'gutiska' is less convincing and besides in normal Swedish it is
called 'gotiska' nowadays!

Without linguistic merits!
Ingemar