*gutiska vs.*gutisko - skinfaksi over hreidgotaland

akoddsson konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 6 13:14:50 UTC 2006

skinfaksi heitir - shiningmane is called
es hinn skira dregr - who the bright drags
dag of drottmogu - day over drottsons (drott - a king's followers)
hesta batstr - of horses best
thykkir med hreidgotum - (he) is considered among hreidgoths
ey lysir mon af mari - ever shines mane of(on) (the) mare

vafthrudnismal 12 (sorry, only english letters today)

Here the Hreidgotar are allowed to have their own opinion about the
horse skinfaksi (i.e. that he is the best of horses). Now, my opinion
is that in the eyes of the norse, it seemed natural to connect the
hreidgotar with the day and dawn, as the sun rises in the east. The
hreidgotar were the first the hail the day, at least among germanic
folk that the norse were aware of - folk who were of the same stock
and who spoke a related tongue (i.e. not barbarians or total aliens to
the ways and culture that seemed natural to the norse). Thus, these
hreidgotar, who lived at the outer limits of the known world (seen
through the eyes of the ancient norse), are the first to hail day, as
day is literally drawn over them first by horse, and only then over
other civilized and intelligible folk, like the more westerly norse.

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar at n...>
wrote:

> Hi Konrad!
>
> I really like your Gothic history. More of it please that I can agree
> with as well.
>
> Best
> Ingemar

ik thanko.