crimean gothic

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sat Jan 7 20:16:10 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "brynhild84" <AaronCarpenter at m...>
wrote:

> does anyone know a good link for Crimean Gothic or any other
resources
> for it.

Here is a reliable site [ http://www.gotica.de/ ] where you can see,
among other things, Busbeque's letter in the original Latin,
together with an extensive bibliography.  This, as far as I know, is
the only evidence now available for what Crimean Gothic was like.
Here [ http://www.geocities.com/erwan-ar-skoul/gothmod.htm ] is a
list of words from that letter with definitions in English.

MacDonald Stearns, Crimean Gothic. Analysis and Etymology of the
Corpus, Saratoga (Calif.) 1978. (Studia Linguistica et Philologica 6)

MacDonald Stearns, Das Krimgotische. In: Heinrich Beck (Hrsg.),
Germanische Rest- und Trümmersprachen, Berlin / New York 1989, 175–
194 (RGA Ergänzungsband 3).

Ottar Grønvik, Die dialektgeographische Stellung des Krimgotischen
und die krimgotische cantilena, Oslo 1983.

Of these I've only seen Grønvik's article which is very
interesting.  It carefully argues that the language we call "Crimean
Gothic" shares some early sound changes with West Germanic, but
underwent later changes in common with Biblical Gothic.  I'm sure
there must be other useful sites on the internet somewhere hidden
amongst the rubbish.

Llama Nom