nasal abbreviations + þatei / ei before indirect speech

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Tue Jan 10 23:50:45 UTC 2006

> > qiþandans þatei aiw swa ni *gasehvun*.
>
>     Ind. pret. pl. 3rd : indirect speech
>
> > LEGONTAS hOTI hOUTWS OUDEPOTE *EIDOMEN*
>
>     Ind. aor. 2 pl. 1st : direct speech.
>
>     qiþandans þatei aiw swa ni *gasehvum*.
>
>     Ind. pret. pl. 1st : direct speech. C'est la solution que je
retiens.

My apologies, you're right, of course!!  Yes, as you say, it would
be more logical to transcribe it 'gasehvum'.

> > Incidentally, on the choice of tense in indirect speech, see also

My mistake again.  I should have said: "choice of person".  As you
point out, that is what's at issue in the example.

> > "Im allgemeinenen ist die Personalverschiebung in der indirekten
> > Rede schon der Vorlage eigen. [...]  In einem Fallen jedoch,
glaubt
> > man, habe sie der Übersetzer im Gegensatz zur Vorlage eingeführt:
> > jus qiþiþ þatei *wajamerjau*.
>
>     Subj. pres. sg. 1st : indirect speech.
>
> > hUMEIS LEGETE hOTI *BLASFHMEIS*
>
>     Ind. pres. sg. 2nd : direct speech. (á½`μεῖς λέγετε á½
τι
*Î'λασφημεῖς*)

> > (J 10,36).  Aber auch Chrysostomos und die altlat. Hss. haben
*BLASFHMW*."

>     Ind. pres. sg. 1st : indirect speech. (á½`μεῖς λέγετε á½
τι
*βλασφημῶ*)

P.S. Thanks for the mention of Wieland Willker [ http://www-user.uni-
bremen.de/~wie/ww_tc.html ].  This will come in very useful.