Reflexives continued + Position of possessive pronouns

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Fri Jan 13 13:02:53 UTC 2006

Hello all,

and especially Gerry who asked these questions last year which I
think I can now answer!

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Grsartor at a... wrote:

> Another thing about pronouns. In paragraph 263 of Wright it is
stated that
> "sein" and its derivatives are used only when they refer to the
subject of the
> sentence they are in. But consider Matt 8:22,
>
>     let þans dauþans gafilhan seinans dauþans.
>     leave the dead to bury their dead.
>
> The subject of this sentence is the implicit "þu" of the
imperative "let",
> and so here the rule is broken.

I've been looking at reflexives recently.  When I get my notes into
a reasnable shape I'll post what I've got so far, hopefully soon.
I've come across some really curious stuff, even stranger than
this!  What's going on here, I think, is just another example of the
ambiguity you pointed out last year with present participles.  I
think what we have here is two clauses, a main clause and a
subordinate one:

[MC let [SubC the dead bury their dead] ]

The first "deads" to be mentioned are thus the accusative subject of
their own (embedded) clause, and so have every right to a
reflexive!  Compare these examples of accusative and infinitive from
Old Icelandic, in both of which the reflexive refers to the
accusative subject of the embedded clause:

(3) lítr hann einn hræðiligan jötun liggja í sinni rekkju `he sees a
terrible giant lying in its (=the giant's) bed' (Sörla saga sterka
3).

(4) ok báðu hann reyna afl sitt `and bade him try his strength'
(Gylfaginning 33).

However, just as with the present participles in your examples [
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gothic-l/message/8225 ], there is a
potential for ambiguity here, in that a reflexive in an embedded
nonfinite clause can also refer to the subject of the main clause,
e.g.

(2) jah dugunnun bidjan ina galeiþan hindar markos seinos = KAI
ERCANTO PARAKALEIN AUTON APELQEIN APO TWN ´ORIWN AUTWN `and they
began to ask him (non-refl.) to depart beyond their (refl.) borders'
(Mk 5,17).

More and weirder to follow...

> The placement of "seinans" is also unusual.
> Perhaps both features are something to do with the original Greek,
which has the
> reflexive possessive heautón instead of the more usual autón (the
accent on the
> o, if it has transmitted right, is meant to show that the vowel is
long,
> being omega), and places it before its noun, as in the Gothic.
Perhaps the
> construction was emphatic. Again, it would be useful to have the
help of someone
> competent in Greek.
>
> Gerry T.

The possessive pronouns--meins, þeins, *seins, ugkar, igqar, unsar,
izwar--normally follow their noun where there is no Greek model:
wato mis ana fotuns meinans ni gaft = `UDWR MOI EPI PODAS OUK
EDWKAS `you didn't give me water on my feet' (L 7,44, and see also
Mt 6,17; L 2,28; L 19,35-36; R 11,14; 2Tim 3,4).  Sometimes Gothic
places the possessive after the noun even in contrast to the Greek,
as at L 6,40; L 9,51; J15,10; Mt 7,24-26.  Likewise with the
genitive of the personal pronoun, when it stands in for the missing
nominative of *seins, e.g. in friaþwai is = AUTOU EN TH AGAPH `in
his love' (J 15,10).  The reverse order marks a contrast: wepna
unsaris drauhtinassaus ´OPLA THS STRATEIAS ´HMWN `the weapons of
*our* warfare' (2Cor 10,4), i.e. spiritual ones as opposed to the
literal weapons of warriors; iþ þai þeinai siponjos ´OI DE SOI `but
*your* disciples' (L 5,33), unlike John's disciples and those of the
Pharisees; ni ibna nih galeiks unsarai garaihtein, ak silba
garaihtei wisands `neither equal nor similar to *our* justice, but
himself being justice' (Sk 1,2).  Often also preposed for emphasis
in agreement with the Greek: seinaim lustum = TAS IDIAS
EPIQUMIAS `their own desires' (2Tim 4,3); meinai handau TH EMH
XEIRI `with my own hand' (Phm 1,19); let þans dauþans gafilhan
seinans nawins = AFES TOUS NEKROUS QAYAI TOUS ´EAUTWN NEKROUS `let
the dead bury their (own) dead' (L 9,56); seinana sunu = TON ´EAUTOU
´UION `his own son'(R 8,3); and so on: R 10,3; 1Cor 15,23; 1Tim
3,5.  A deceptive example: sein ain = TA ´EAUTHS `its own [lit. its-
own only]' (1Cor 13,5)--unless 'ain' here is really aigin??

Llama Nom