nasal abbreviations + thatei / ei before indirect speech

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Fri Jan 13 06:11:04 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "akoddsson" <konrad_oddsson at y...>
wrote:

> If Gothic did not really use ei in indirect speech, as used by
> Wulfila, then what did it use?

Hails Konrad,

I made at least 3 daft mistakes in that message, which I´d better
explain.  (1) I typed "indirect" in the subject line when I
meant "direct", (2) I carelessly mistook a Greek 1st person plural
ending for the third person plural (thus complelely failing to
appreciate the point of Richard's original message!), and (3) I
somehow got the idea that W. Streitberg was talking about choice of
tense in subordinate clauses, whereas the paragraph I quoted
concerned choice of person.  Ack.  Obviously not my day.

> Sure, I grant that Wulfila simply
> translated the words of a greek text, but at the same it seems
> unlikely that he would have developed a usage entirely foreign to
> native gothic speakers, who were, after all, his audience. What
> strikes me most here, in the explanation above, is that it
suggests no
> alternative usage, presumably more native to Gothic. On the other
> hand, if the use of ei was native to gothic in this function, one
> imagines that Wulfila's audience would have no problems
understanding
> him, even if his translations were thought oddly worded and
foreign to
> some extent in syntax, word-usage, etc. He was, after all,
translating
> concepts and culture entirely foreign to Goths and Gothic. Thus,
while
> I certainly suspect that Wulfila stretched the meanings of words,
and
> was perhaps somewhat novel syntactically, I do not imagine that he
> developed new usage in indirect speach without any precedent. Am I
> alone in this supposition?

Not at all.  In fact it's in these small words and really basic
components of the language that you can see most independence from
Greek usage, e.g. 'iþ' regularly comes first in the clause, while
Greek DE comes second.  Looked at as a whole, all the main
constituents of the sentence may well match the Greek, but on
virtually every line of the Gothic bible Greek articles are left
untranslated, presumably because sa, so, þata was just too emphatic
to use so ubiquitously; sometimes prepositions are inserted,
occasionally pronouns, often reflexives; and of course my favourite,
the enclitic -uh, often has no equivalent at all.  Conversations are
another great place to look for subtle differences.  The all purpose
Greek particle DE is replaced by a range of Gothic conjunctions, not
at random, but according to their own various functions for which
the Greek offered no model.  Relatives show curious patterns of case
attraction which often contrast with Greek usage.  In fact choice of
case generally, with verbs and prepositions, follows rules quite
independent of Greek--only in some more abstract or metaphorical or
rhetorical uses, where native rules offer no guide, is Greek in
charge.  Likewise with the choice of prepositions themselves.

That said, given the level of immitation that we do find, any exact
match between Gothic and Greek has to be suspect, unless it´s
something common to Indo-European languages generally and Germanic
specifically.  Relatives before indirect speech being a case in
point!  But I can well imagine that these instances of a relative
before DIRECT speech could be due to immitation if they are only
found at places where the Greek has the same phrasing: They said
that "we never saw the like".  It would be interesting to see these
Norse equivalents though.  Another possibility is that Gothic had
such usages in some contexts, but that the normal range of contexts
in which they would appear has been extended in an attempt to match
the Greek.  This is what Streitberg suggests may be the case with
the accusative and infinitive construction, for example, which is
common in Old Norse, but even more widely used in Koine Greek.

Llama Nom