Reflexives continued + Position of possessive pronouns

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sat Jan 14 14:04:49 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Budelberger, Richard"
<budelberger.richard at 9...> wrote:

>> ERCANTO

> « ERXANTO »

Or even better: HRXANTO !  Thanks for the tip regarding X and C.  I
wasn't sure which way round to use them, and Google produced lots of
examples of both methods, but I'll follow your advice on this--or
I'll try, anyway...

>> jah dugunnun bidjan ina galeiþan hindar markos seinos
>> KAI HRXANTO PARAKALEIN AUTON APELQEIN APO TWN hORIWN AUTWN
>> 'and they began to ask him (non-refl.) to depart beyond their
(refl.) borders'
>> (Mk 5,12)

That's right, not reflexive in the Greek.  I was just refering to
the Gothic.

> Je ne comprends pas pourquoi le gothique a le réfléchi «
seinos » !..
Wright ne commente pas en note. Pourquoi pas « ize » ?

Well, from what I've found, it would seem that Gothic can optionally
use a reflexive in a nonfinite embedded clause to refer to an
antecedent which is the subject of the matrix clause.  Obviously
this is a potential source of ambiguity, since the reflexive might
also be refering to the subject of its own (subordinate) clause.
Even so, the usage is quite normal in Gothic, as shown in Gerry's
examples.  But where there is a particular need to avoid ambiguity,
the non-reflexive pronoun can be used instead, as in the following
examples, albeit both matching the Greek in this respect:

ei gebi unsis unsagein us handau fijande unsaraize galausidaim
skalkinon imma
TOU DOUNAI hUMIN AFOBWS EK CEIROS EXQRWN RUSQENTAS LATREUEIN AUTW
`that he grant us that we, delivered from the hands of our enemies,
might serve him'
(L 1,73-74).

þannuh biþe alla gakunnun sik faura imma, þanuþ-þan is silba sunus
gakann sik faura þamma ufhnaiwjandin uf ina þo alla, ei sijai guþ
alla in allaim
hOTAN DE hUPOTAGH AUTW TA PANTA, TOTE KAI AUTOS hO hUIOS
hUPOTAGHSETAI TW hUPOTACANTI AUTW TA PANTA, hINA H hO QEOS TA PANTA
EN PASIN
`so then, when all things are subjected to him, well, then the son
himself will submit to the one (=the father) who placed all those
things under him (=the son), so that God may be all in all.'
(1Cor 15,28).

However, I haven't found any examples yet, in Gothic, of a reflexive
in a FINITE embedded clause (i.e. one introduced by a subordinating
conjunction) refering to anything other than the subject of its own
clause.  Compare the following example with Mk 5,12.

bedun ei usliþi hindar markos ize
PAREKALESAN hWTOS METABH APO TWN hORIWN AUTWN
`they asked him to depart beyond their borders'
(Mt 8,34).

Here's an example, from Curtius's Greek Grammar, of a reflexive in
just such a subordinate clause refering not to the subject of its
own clause but to that of the main clause:

EISIENAI EKELEUSEN, EI MELLOIS SUN hEAUTW EKPLEIN
`he bade you enter if you were going to sail away with him'

It would be interesting to see if there are any examples of Gothic
contradicting Greek in this respect.

>> The reverse order marks a contrast: wepna unsaris drauhtinassaus
>> ´OPLA THS STRATEIAS ´HMWN `the weapons of *our* warfare'
>> (2Cor 10,4), i.e. spiritual ones as opposed to the literal weapons
>> of warriors; iþ þai þeinai siponjos ´OI DE SOI `but *your*
disciples'
>> (L 5,33), unlike John's disciples and those of the Pharisees;
>> ni ibna nih galeiks unsarai garaihtein, ak silba garaihtei wisands
>> `neither equal nor similar to *our* justice, but himself being
justice'
>> (Sk 1,2). Often also preposed for emphasis in agreement with the
>> Greek:

> Je ne le pense pas. La construction article + pronom + nom est
normale en grec (/cf/. /supra/) ; le gothique calque le grec.

>> seinaim lustum = TAS IDIAS EPIQUMIAS `their own desires' (2Tim
4,3);
>> meinai handau TH EMH CEIRI

To me the difference between "their desires" and "their own desires"
is one of emphasis or contrast (in this case: their own, as opposed
to the will of God).  Likewise the context would suggest the
emphatic "my own hand", rather than that of my secretary, who
normally writes for me.  Though it may be quite normal, I get the
impression that the more common way of expressing possession, when
there is no special emphasis on the possessor, or contrast, is to
place the pronoun after the noun:

handau izos
THS CEIROS AUTHS

handu þeina
THN CEIRA SOU

handau meinai
THS CEIROS MOU

Isn't TAS IDIAS EPIQUMIAS a more forceful/emphatic way of expressing
possession than these?  Sometimes, as in the above examples, Gothic
simply follows the Greek word order, but uses the same possessive
form that would normally come after the noun.  At other times,
Gothic, like the Greek, uses a different word:

þo swesona lamba
TA IDIA PROBATA
'his own lambs'
(J 10,3)

Eph 5,28 [ http://www.wulfila.be/gothic/browse/text/?
book=8&chapter=5 ] seems to contain an interesting error in the form
of two alternative translations of the same phrase.

leik seina
sein silbins leik
TA hEAUTWN SWMATA
his own body

Llama Nom

P.S. Thanks once again for patiently correcting my mistakes with
Greek.