Reflexives continued + Position of possessive pronouns

Grsartor at AOL.COM Grsartor at AOL.COM
Thu Jan 19 18:48:39 UTC 2006

Hailai allai, especially Llama_nom for his consideration of the questions I
raised last year about reflexive pronouns, but gave up on. I decided the
solution was beyond me, and left its discovery to others. However there is one thing
I should like to say. It concerns the "missing" nominative form *seins.
Surely the reason for its non-existence is that normally there would be no reason
for it to be used. For example, in a statement like "his son is sick" you would
presumably have

        sunus is ist siuks,

because the son is the subject of the sentence and the his-word ("is") refers
to someone else (the father). Even if the father is explicitly brought into
the sentence, as in "the father says that his son is sick", the son remains the
subject in its own clause:

        sa atta qiþiþ þatei sunus is ist siuks   (I think)

If instead an accusative and infinitive construction is used, ("the father
declares his son to be sick") I believe this would be regarded by grammarians as
only one clause, and the reflexive pronoun would presumably be expected in
Gothic. But as it would be in the accusative case, it would still not be *seins:

        sa atta qiþiþ sunu seinana siukana wisan (I suppose)

(I can think of one kind of sentence that might call for *seins. It is
exemplified by "he is his own boss". Possibly Gothic would have used a more emphatic
word than *seins here, just as English would have "his own" rather than
simply "his". But at least *seins looks as if it would be grammatically
justifiable.)

Gerry T.