Is this a matter for the Gothic list?

akoddsson konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jan 25 18:39:30 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, macmaster at r... wrote:

> I think so; certainly, it has been raised here before at least in
passing (can't recall who posted a 'reconstruction' of
Gothic/Scandinavian migrations & links)

> Even in a purely linguistic discussion, the question of the
relationships between the Germanic languages and where, when and how
the divisions occured has a bearing on this subject.

> I personally tend to agree with Heather; the Goths as we know
emerged in eastern Europe.  But, there probably was a migration from
Scandinavia to the south Baltic coast - I think that it was most
likely a 'migration' so small (one or two boatloads) as to be
virtually invisible.  The Goths were, in my mind, made up of people
descended from many sources who coalesced over a long period around
a small group who came in that initial migration.

Tom, why would the Goths not have a more homogeneous orgin, as would
seem to be the case with other Germanic folk of that time? It would
seem that they had an ethnic identity, specific language, customs,
etc. with which they identified themselves. Personally, I find it
unlikely that the Goths, at least before their divisions and demise,
were of very diverse origins. At least, they seem to have maintained
a strong ethnic identity, even into their later period, when their
descendants were settled in a wide geographic area. Furthermore, I
do not think that fighting wars on the same side as the Goths, or
having trading relations with them, being conquered by them, or just
subject to their rule, actually made one a Goth, nor do I think that
Goths would have so considered. More than likely, I think, what made
one a Goth was ethnicity.

Regards,
Konrad

> Tom
>

> Wilhelm Otto wrote:
> > Dear Gothic list,
> >
> > Is this a chat list just for the language itself or for a wider
approach
> > the gothic culture, as history?
> >
> > If it serves the later purpose as well I will raise a subject. I
have just
> > read Peter Heather:
> >
> > "The Goths" and this book gives me an entirely new view of the
old gothic
> > world. He tells us about Jordanes' Gethica and claims that it is
among
> > contemporary historians Jordanes' fault that people still
believe the
> > Goths
> > originated in Scandinavia before moving across the Baltic.
Secondly, from
> > at
> > least the the third century the Goths was divided into two
groups: the
> > Visgoths and the Ostrogoths and thirdly that these groups were
led by two
> > families with unique royal prestige, the Balthi and the Amals.
> >
> > These ideas, Peter Heather says, have set an agenda around which
argument
> > has raged.
> >

> > I have been trying to discuss the first of these topics, the
exodus, on a
> > Swedish chat list and am very confused by the response. There
are members
> > who claim there has been an exodus, although Peter Heather
claims that the
> > dating of relevant objects from both sides of the Baltic shows
that there
> > has been none. And Peter Heather seems to be a man who to day
carries the
> > weight of argument. I have a general feeling that in Sweden the
Gothic