question relating to Wielbark and Scandinavian burial customs

akoddsson konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 26 18:50:26 UTC 2006

Hails Tore.

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore at g...> wrote:

> Konrad,
> I presume you have no problem reading Swedish.
> Have you read Mårten Stenberger, Det Forntida Sverige?

No, but you have now put it on my list. Thank you for the link.

> You find it in my private research library
http://www.stavgard.com/romaniron/stenberger_/forromerskj_/aldstajarn
alder/default.htm

Tore, I want to take this opportunity to thank you for providing
such important and interesting links as this one, as well as the
(for the purposes of this list) immensely important links to the
history, culture, and scholarship about Gutland.

> He writes among other things
>
> Annorlunda förhåller det sig på Gotland. Där har på senare tid den
arkeologiska aspekten undergått stora förändningar. Några lösfynd
var tidigare kända därifrån, huvudsakligen bygelnålar av brons och
järn ävensom ett mindre antal brand- och skelettgravar med liknande
nålar. Dessa skelettgravar väckte tidigt uppmärksamhet, eftersom
samtida sådana inte var kända från andra håll i Norden. Genom
omfattande fältundersökningar av Erik Nylén har de gotländska fynden
ökats i anmärkningsvärd grad och en mängd nya brand- och
skelettgravar tillkommit. Jordandet har inte varit en
undantagsföreteelse utan ett allmänt tillämpat gravskick på ön under
denna tid. De döda har nedlagts i kistor av sten, ibland kanske av
trä, under flat mark eller täckta av flacka, runda, ofta omfångsrika
stenrösen. Vid slutet av bronsåldern har alltså jordandet
återinförts på Gotland och tillämpats under åtminstone hela
övergångstiden för att sedan försvinna igen, s. 334. Först vid den
romerska järnålderns början åtenvänder bruket på nytt, denna gång
genom inflytanden från germankulturerna på kontinenten. Därefter
vidmakthölls det under den följande förhistoriska tiden vid sidan av
likbränningen för att vid kristendomens införande bli allenarådande.

Interesting. The implied explanation here for the co-occurence of
cremation and inhumation would seem to be influence from germanic
continental peoples. I have been reading and researching mostly
about the grave finds from Norway, focusing on one area so as to
form a more coherent picture of the development and history of
burial customs through time. Here is some general information, which
I have culled from numerous sources about grave finds in Norway: 1)
cremation displaces earlier inhuman with gravegoods about 1000BC -
that is, during the later Scandinavian bronze age; cremation quickly
becomes universal and gravegoods become uncommon, the bones of the
dead being buried below flat earth, often washed and often in an urn
of bronze, beech-tree (known from the remains of the sap-glue used),
or the like, but not always; furthermore, ash and remains of the
pyre are often buried together with the bones; also, bear-claws are
often found in the remains, indicating cremation on bear-hides for
some of the dead. 2) while in the earlier bronze age (before 1000BC
in Scandinavia) the dead were placed unburned in coffins built of
stone in the earth (steinkistur), often in collective grave areas
(like Toldness in Trondheim, for example, where a large example of
this survives), being stacked up generation after generation, and
typically with grave mounds raised over the dead (and gravegoods),
the dead are now hard to find for modern archeaologists, as there
are no noticable mounds, and the grave-markers have often been
removed. 3) from surviving examples, the grave-markers would seem to
have been mostly stone circles, often with some filling (so as to
form a pattern, etc.), but occasionally also mounds (I think that
the leading idea about this is that wealthy and important folk got
the mounds as markers during this time), and apparently always with
a ON bauta(dar)steinn (a kind of vertical, narrow, upright stone cut
and set into the earth as a grave-marker), regardless of whether or
not there was a mound, stone-setting, etc.. (but most of these have
been destroyed or removed in later times) 4. occasionally we find
cenotaphs, which are monuments raised to the dead without any
apparent connection to an actual burial or cremation site, but
generally nearby; examples of this include ship-settings (of which
there is a fine example not far from the ancient chieftain's farm
Eggje in Trondheim, which I have examined personally), but also from
all over Scaninavia. 5. later, in the so-called Mervingotid, the two
hundred years or so before the dawn of the viking age (+/-800AD), we
start to see occasional inhumations again, but mostly on the west
coast, where gravegoods are often greatly increased; furthermore,
the custom of burning the dead in boats becomes common (the northern
province of Naumudalr being especially named as a place where this
custom was typical, as well as in parts of Trondheim; the custom is
thought to have been imported from Sweden; furthermore, this custom
lasts, at least for wealthy persons in some areas, until the end of
the viking age (but by this time we also find boat-inhumation with
massive gravegoods, such as the famous example of the Åsaborg ship
from the south-west). Now, there is apparently some connection
between ship-burials and the practise of erecting stone-settings in
the formation of a ship, even if only a symbolic marker. Another
point of interest in that the re-emergence of inhumation has often
been attributed to foreign influence (i.e. from the continent - see
above), and indeed, it would seem to appear most in areas with
closer contact with the British Isles, etc. and then mostly as a
rich man's practice (no cremation, but a fine grave chamber to live
in with lots of gravegoods). Areas with less contact, like Tronheim
and the areas to the north of it, but by no means exclusively, seem
to have held faster to the time-honoured practice of cremation, even
for the wealthy (as was the case in conservative Sweden, where the
cremation finds appear close to universal from this period, as far
as I can tell from what I have read). Also, grave-mounds become more
and more common, perhaps due to an increase in wealthier persons,
regardless of the means of burial. Lastly, grave-mounds are banned
with the introduction of christianity and violators punished by loss
of all property and eternal exile (Gulathingslog, for example),
unless they pay a huge fine and excavate the dead from the mound and
re-bury it in a churchyard (unless the dead were not baptized, a
criminal, or excommunicated - unbaptized and excommunicated lay
outside the churchyard, while criminal were buried 'thar es moetask
sær ok groen torfa' - that is, where the sea and green turf meet -
an ignoble burial). No mention is made in law, as far as I am aware,
of the punishments for cremating the dead, but I imagine that these
would be extreme (see my reference above to punishment for mounds).
Ok, enough for now. This is not intended as a comprehensive report,
just as some brief notes on the general development of the burial
practices in Norway, as culled from my own reading, etc..

> You can also find quite a lot of literature in my sources
> http://www.stavgard.com/historia/sources_/default.htm
>
> I am trying to collect as much sources as possible in my private
> research library.

It is much appreciated. Again, thank you.

Regards,
Konrad

> Tore
>
> On Jan 25, 2006, at 7:17 PM, akoddsson wrote:
>
> > Tore, thank you for the link below.
> > I have been reading about iron age scandinavian burial customs
for
> > some time, even visiting sites myself. Also, in reading about the
> > Wielbark finds some months ago, I quickly noticed that they
matched
> > the overall scandinavian pattern. This book also confirms this.
> > However, one thing which is not explained here, or in other
sources
> > that I have seen, is the difference about cremation and
inhumation
> > burials, which is found in the Wielbark culture and throughout
all
> > of Scandinavian during this period. What I am wondering is, why
were
> > some members burned and others inhumed? This book mentions a
young
> > girl inhumed over an older cremation grave, and similar mixes
occur
> > widely in the archeaological finds from this period. There must
have
> > been some reason why occasional inhumations occured in a culture
> > which otherwise cremated its dead, like other IE folk. IE
religion,
> > as attested in Hinduism, for example, strongly favours cremation,
> > and various theological reasons are given for this, such as the
view
> > that man is spirit and not matter; furthermore, there is no
belief
> > in a future physical recurrection of bodies from the earth, such
as
> > in the semetic traditions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam).
Clearly,

http://www.stavgard.com/Gotland/gothicconnectio_/gothic/default.htm