is, ist

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Mon Jan 30 20:18:25 UTC 2006

Hi Fredrik,

Actually it's the other way round; Gothic has the more old-fashioned
system, inherited from Indo-European, compare Latin.

2nd. pers.    es
3rd pers.     est

I suppose the loss of the /t/ in the 3rd pers. sg. in ON might be to
do with the fact that in Old Norse verbs generally, the 2nd pers.
sg. ending was extended to the 3rd.  Proto Norse, though, still had
the old 3rd pers. sg. -iþ [
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stentoften_Runestone ].  So maybe the
old 2nd pers. ending (without the /t/) survives in the 3rd pers.
sg., es, later 'er'?  Or maybe it was an earlier innovation shared
by OE.  The Oxford English dictionary just says, "in Eng. as in ON.
and Du. the personal suffix -t is lost," without suggesting any
reason why.

Less mysteriously, the final -t that appears, in Germanic languages
apart from Gothic, in the 2nd pers. sg. is from the pronoun 'þu'.
The 2nd pers. sg. of the verb "to be" in OHG is 'du bis' or 'du
bist'.

bis þu > bistu > bist þu/du, du bist.

Some dialects of Old English have 'earð' and 'earðu' or 'arðu' as an
alternative to 'eart'.  In ON, the 2nd pers. sg. gets a final /t/ in
the same way: es + þú > estu > est, later 'ert'.  Other OHG verbs
also have 2nd pers. -is (as in Gothic), besides -ist.  The 2nd pers.
sg. ending -es is found in some dialects of OE too.

So it's a bit odd to read in Gothic Online that

"Such features [as OHG ist, Gothic ist, but ON er] suggest the
possibility of close interaction between Goths and Germans of the
southeastern regions. If these features can be dated to an early
period, as some scholars argue, then this casts some doubts on a
protracted period of common development between Gothic and Old
Norse, and even on the grouping of the West Germanic dialects
itself."

because here Gothic and OHG preserve the inherited form, and it is
ON and OE that have innovated!

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts at h...> wrote:

> Great site you found...kinda usefull.
>
> I was reading and came to the part about differences and
similarities
> between gothic and other germanic languages.
> Where it said that the third person singular present indicative
form
> of 'to be' has an edning with -t, like german but unlike old
english
> and nordic. "Gothic ist and Old High German ist as against Old
Norse