Antes?

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 6 07:56:26 UTC 2006

Hails, Mixael!

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michael Erwin <merwin at ...> wrote:

> I'm not convinced 'Antes' is an ethnonym. The name comes from
> Jordanes, after all.
>
> If the root is Gothic, any Ans- Ant- or Anth- could yield 'Antes'
in
> transliteration.
>
> If the root is not Gothic, some other forms might also do so.
>
> (Ni quotha inuh Gutrazda ei meljo in razdai mainon)

At first I too had doubts if it were not another Gothic word left
untranslated in Getica, but note that, besides Jordanes, Antes are
mentioned by Procopius of Caesarea (hYPER TWN POLEMWN LOGOI, V.27.2
et passim, especially a longer fragment about this tribe VII.14.22-
30 - he has the name as ANTAI), Menander (Fr. 6 where the ANTAI are
reported to get destroyed by Avares), Mauricius (STRATHGIKON, XI.3,
4: advice how to wage war against the ANTAI, just in case, with a
very detailed description of  the probable adversaries) and others
more. Very difficult to believe all the authors borrowed it from
Jordanes. But can we be quite sure that it was just this ethnonym
which produced the known Germanic forms: OE _ent_ "giant", OHG
_enz_ "idem" (after G. Koebler). And is the adjective OS
_entisc_ "huge", OLFr, OHG _entisk _ "old" formed from the same
stem? Koebler explains them in different ways (OS < PG
*antjaz "giant", OLFr, OHG < PG *andjaz "end", dependent on meaning
I guess). If so, why OLFr not *endisk? If nevertheless it's from
*antjaz too - why OHG not *enzisk? Maybe it's a Low-to-High German
loan, or vice versa?
Whatever it be, for our ends it would be interesting to know if the
semantics of the word mutated from ethnonym to "giant" (a very well-
spread change) already in Gothic, so that this word (pl.
*Antjos:*Anteis) could be reconstructed in the latter meaning.
Jordanes describes them as rather serious opponents of the Gothic
war power (Get. 247: ...dum adgreditur prima congressione superatus,
deinde etc...).
The name itself is usually thought to be Iranian derived from the
same IE base ant- "limit", "end", which produced PG *andjaz, so
Antes could have meant roughly the same as Marcomanni or nowaday's
Ukrainians.

Ualarauans