MEDOS, *midus? + neologisms

akoddsson konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jul 8 18:45:20 UTC 2006

Hails Carl.

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Carl Edlund Anderson <cea at ...>
wrote:

> On 05/07/2006 17:03, llama_nom wrote:
> > Nah, I don't think we need to be polite ;)  Plural forms are used
sometimes in Old Norse for royalty, including adjectives even; I'm
not sure how ancient this is.  But apart from that, as far as I know,
there was no general plural of respect.

> It's been a while since I worked closely with ON, but my
recollection is that the use of plural "polite" forms in ON was a
relatively late borrowing from Continental practices.  (No warranty
given or implied with this information! :)

> Cheers,
> Carl

Indeed. There is no real precedent for polite forms in ON, other
than as influence from the continent. Aside from some debatable
points rarely in older poetry (not necessarily original, either),
it's standard that 1 is 1, 2 is 2, 2 or more is 2 or more. Purely
grammatical, not social, I think ;)

Regards,
Kunjareths

http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM