Visborg on Gutland and the Visi-Goths

akoddsson konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 10 16:31:12 UTC 2006

Regarding the element 'visi-' in english 'visigoths', I am not sure
that there is a general scholarly consensus as to what its actual
form would be in Gothic. It is often thought to mean something like
'famous/renowned'. I have never seen any references to this element
being used in germanic languages, personal- or place-names in
general. It seems isolated, and thus likely the questions about what
its Gothic form would have been, if it is indeed Gothic. However, I
noticed that it could be related to the name Visborg on Gutland,
which is mentioned in Gutasaga and in Gutland inscription #100
(rundatabase). What struck me here is that the element occurs, of
all places, on Gutland ;) Now, as is known, Visborg is a major
historical location on Gutland. Now, it would certainly be
interesting if the so-called 'visi-goths' of later, continental fame
had this 'visi-' element due to an historical origin in or around
Visborg. Judging from the changes into the later Gutlandic, an
earlier form might have been something like *weisibaurgs in
Wulfila's spelling. Anyway, the fact that the only other possible
instance of the 'visi-' element that I could find was on Gutland,
and then for a major location, really struck me.

Regards,
Kunjareths.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/2pRQfA/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM