Loaned names, placenames, peoples' names in actual Gothic? (was Re: Antes?)

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Mon Jul 10 16:20:34 UTC 2006

On 10/07/2006 07:27, ualarauans wrote:
> P.S. Having written a draft of this I found ON Harvadhafjoell <
> early Grm. *xarfath- < original karpat- mentioned in Carl Edlund
> Anderson's Ph.D. dissert., 2.5.2. Goths & Huns, p. 42 (at )

Though in the years since writing that, I've seen it further suggested
that a Gmc. *xarfath- might have come from some non-Germanic IE form
(perhaps Dacian?) related to Albanian "karpë" (rock), which some have
suggested stems ultimately from a PIE root *sker-/*ker-.  That, though,
pretty much exhausts my (very limited) knowledge about the name of the
Carpathians, though I've wondered very idly (and probably wrongly) about
some distant connection with Indic párvata-/parvataH (depending on how
the transliteration is done).

Cheers,
Carl

--