female angel

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 13 16:30:16 UTC 2006

Hails Hvazuh Hirjandane!

Bidja ei ragin mis gibaith in thammei nu sokja. Hvaiwa aggilu
qinakundana haitan duginnith jainis dagis (jainaizos nahts?) than
swaleika anaks izwis anmaqimith? Silba twa bi hvileikja thatainei
hugjan gadaurstedjau: andizuh (1) ainfalthaba *aggilu qithau, soei
thanuth-than swe u-waurda tho qinakundona uswandjaidau; aiththau (2)
*aggilinja gaskapjau (soh afar "Saurinjai" niuja-waurhta ist). Tho
spedizein mundonds tweiflja, ibai aufto jah _*aggiluni_ mahteiga
wesi? Leitilai izai wisandein, an *aggiliko haihaiti? Jan-nauh,
miththanei nehva rinnam, hvaiwa bi aina us kunja Wodanis qetheith:
*gudi, *ansuni thau aljaleiko hva?

I'd appreciate your suggestions of a Gothic word for a "female
angel". I would think of two possibilities: simply *aggilus F. -u
(declined like handus) or, with a feminine suffix, *aggilini F. -jo
(like attested Saurini). Could the latter be *aggiluni as well
(because of the u-stem)? A "little she-angel", could it be *aggiliko
F. -on? And, since we are close, what could be Gothic for "goddess":
*gudi F. -jo (cf. thius:thiwi et sim.), ansuni F. -jo (ON asynja F. -
jon) or smth else?

Thanks!

Ualarauans

http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM