Boz = Bus < *Baus?

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Sat Jul 15 23:07:23 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore at ...> wrote:

> Hi,
> This is very interesting. We know from Gotlandic sorces that the
> Gotlanders in the 12th century met people at the Black Sea speaking
> their language. Is there anything more written about it?
>
> Tore
>

> On Jul 15, 2006, at 1:43 PM, ualarauans wrote:

Hi Tore and Ualarauans,

As Tore alredy knows we treated the so called Bosgårdar(Boz-yards)
already in a symposium in 1990. In Sweden we have an old organisation
of Bosgårdar that seem to have been connected with the growing royal
central power and as well with the see-organisation of the church.
They seem to be established in the middle of the 12th c. and are
situated along the riding paths to make possible to stay over night
without travelling too far every day. They also, like in Holstein
earlier, were used as centres for fiscal taxes, to convay messages to
the local community through the official living there and it is
specially remarkable that they seem to go along with the coloniastion
and spread of agriculture and hortency by the Cisterciensis.Earlier on
the continent they were introduced by the Clunyasensis. They used
thralls as labour and with the disappearence of thralldom also this
organisation seems to become obsolete. Bos/Boz is interpreted as lord
(worldly-royal or noble) and also as God. In Västergötland and
surrounding parts of the oldest see in Sweden, Skara,we still have a
lot of Bosgårdsnames on farmsteads and they without exception lie
beside the local church and hence they also had the function to
provide the local vicar and belonged to the see. This is almost unique
for Skara see but there are some bosgårdar as well in other provinces
but very scattered and not undisputably connected with the church, but
maybe rather with sherifs et.c. This mostly deals with the earlier
pheripheral districts of the Mälar valley where the  Christian kingdom
was late established and the king had no real power there until the
13th c.

Best
Ingemar

http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM