Some Gothic names

Le Bateman LeBateman at ATT.NET
Thu Jul 20 03:53:11 UTC 2006

I should have said the  names in the manuscript were used in the
first part of the 9th century in Northumbria. Sorry. So these I listed below
are Northumbrian or Anglian names. Like siguulf, iurminburg, Balthere,
Bealduald, inguburg. Sorry I did not make that understood. Did the Goths
have
similar godnames. god names are names like Oswulf, and Osgar, names people
were given whether because of some heroic deed or at birth. Grimm calls
these god names Cotbert,  Godric etc... Grimm calls these god names. The
Personal names were Northumbrian that reflect the name of a pagan deity,
or their attributes like siguulf Wolf of Victory Oswulf, Oswald, Osgar
etc...
Which would be Wodan. siguulf would imply Wodan as would Oswulf ,
or wolf god. etc... I hope I have  cleared up any confusion I caused.
.Le
----- Original Message -----
From: "ualarauans" <ualarauans at yahoo.com>
To: <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 10:59 PM
Subject: [gothic-l] Some Gothic names

Hi, Le!

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Le Bateman" <LeBateman at ...> wrote:

>   Does anyone know if the Goths had god names they used as
personal names?
> The Cotton Ms Domitian A., VII fols 15 ff lists Baldhelm and
inguburg and
> iurminburg,  siguulf as well. Did the Goths have names like this.
The
> reference is from  Henry Sweet's A Second Anglo-Saxon Reader p.
108  This
> Northumbrian was from the First half of the 9th century. Baelduald
is also
> used. So Did the Goths have these god names? One name I almost
forgot was
> Balthere.
> Le

I'm not sure I absolutely understood what you mean with "god names".
If you're referring to complex names containing a theonym attested
in other Germanic areas, then Baldhelm and Baelduald (OE, right?)
may rather have the adjective PG *balthaz "brave" (Go. balths, OE
beald, ON ballr etc) as the first element than a name that would
correspond to ON Baldr. You know the Visigoths had their royal
dynasty named that way (Jordanes' Balthi, Get. 42), the name, unlike
Amali, being quite transparent in that time (ob audacia uirtutis
Baltha, id est audax..., Get. 146-7). The Gothic form was probably
*Baltha M. -an, pl. *Balthans. But it's not clear (?) whether the
Balthi were credited with a divine genealogy as were their
Ostrogothic colleagues. The spread of the element in personal names
of the rest of Germania may be explained to some extent as marching
together with rumors of the glorious deeds of the Visigoths.
Does some later Germanic epic source mention Balthi in any way
(maybe smth like *Bealdingas, *Baldunge or the like)?

Ualarauans

You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email
to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM