gothic traces in the east?

andrei_stirbu andrei_stirbu at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 20 04:09:59 UTC 2006

> These Romanian words of presumably Gothic/Gepidic origin are:
>
> ba^lca~ "jug, mug" < Gep. *bollika, cf. O.Eng. bolla "vessel, cup",
>          OHG bolla "round vessel"
> bulz "clod" < Gep. *bultja or *bulti, cf. MHG bulte "clod, boulder,
>          heap", Low German Buelte "heap, knoll"
> nasture "button" < Got. nestilo "cord, string" or OHG nestila "bow,
>          ribbon"
> rapa~n "itch" < Got.-Gep. rappo (Gen. rappons), cf. MHG rapfe "itch"
> sta~rnut "with white-spotted forehead (about horses)" < Got. stairno
>          or Gep. *sterno or OHG sterno "star", cf. Swed. stjerna
>          "star; white spot on horse's forehead"
> strugure "grape" < Got. *thrubilo or Gep. *struwilo (cf. MHG trubel
>           < OHG triuba "grape")
> targa~ "stretcher" < Got./Gep. *targa, cf. OHG zarga "enclosure"
> tureci "trousers, pants" < Got. *theuhbrok or Gep. *theubreki, cf.
>         OHG theohproch, diohpruoch "trousers"
> zgudui "to shake" < Gep. *skudojan, cf. O.Sax. skuddian "tremble,
>         shake", O.Fris. skedda "push, shake", OHG scutten, scuien
>         "shake, stir, pour"

There is a book called "Ethnic contacts and cultural exchanges north
and west of the Black Sea", published in 2005 at Iasi, at Trinitas
editorial house. In an article called "Lexical elements that reflect
close contacts between old germanic and autochtonous populations in
southeast Europe" by Alexandru Poruciuc (
http://mail.lit.uaic.ro/cursuridevara/cvporuciuc.pdf
http://mail.lit.uaic.ro/cursuridevara/staff.htm ) it is sayed, among
others:

"...In all, we can count on over 70 Romanian words for which Old
Germanic origins can be safely assumed..."

"...There also is a similarity between the character of the Old
Germanics of th Romanian and that of the Ostrogothic elements of
Italian..."

"...All evidence sustains the idea that old Germanic populations
couldd influence pre-Romanians..."

"...Words of provable Old Germanic origin (e.g. barda, cioareci, gard,
rapan) survive in both Daco/Romanian and Macedo/Romanian (However, it
is woth observing that Daco/Romanian - and, implicitly, the standard
language of Romana -is by far richer than Macedo/Romanian in temrs of
old Germanic origins)..."

These are the words I extracted from the article:

a ateia
-barda
-bort
-brusture