Using DNA to find Goths

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Mon Jul 24 22:49:59 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I have followed the discussion about DNA and I agree mainly with Carl
and Andreas that we must face an overwhelming genetic mixture if we
try to follow the trace back from e.g. Visigothic Spain all the way to
Cherniakov or still worse to Wielbark and maybe all Scandinavia. The
Goths were in a high degree genetically polyethnic becoming more and
more mixed  in time. I also suggest that not even the language was
original for many of the Goths but just adapted to the Eastgermanic
speaking majority. I claim the main element sticking them together was
the common cultic origin and later also other people were introduced
into and accepted within the cult. This leaves only one feasible way
to make DNA tests that can be at least partly verified by written
documents identifying these persons and that is Arthurs suggestion of
royal- and noble genealogies.One thing also that could help is the
intermarriage verdict between Goths and Romans that was at least
nominally enforced in e.g. Dacia and Italy. Maybe there could be found
some haplo- or Mitocondric groups in those areas that may point
towards a certain area but that seems to be a very wild chance if they
are not supported by any kind of genalogy be it historically accepted
or mythic. I really hope this project will work but I must confess I
am rather sceptical. In any way I suggest that these investigations
rather should be made on grave material (bones), if that is possible,
comparing initially Wielbark and Cherniakov-Sintana de Mures and
completed with samples of people living in Poland, Ukraine and
Romania. Krim would of course also be interesting, but after Stalin
having moved a lot of folks from there it is nessecary to find them in
their new homes. Later this could be compared with, for example,
Scandinavian results.

Best wishes!
Ingemar

http://us.click.yahoo.com/2pRQfA/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM