Pietroasa (etymology +)

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 25 09:54:21 UTC 2006

Of course I knew about this Dacian tribe (I remember its name
as "Caucoenses"), but on the map that I have seen (from the "Romanian
Historic Atlas") they where located further north than the curvature
of the Carpathians.
But I think that it is merely a coincidence. The interpretation of
Caucaland as Hauha-land "highland" is more plausible in my opinion
than a Dacian-Gothic hybrid (and is also plausible for the old
Gothic "H", pronounced rather as a velar fricative, to be rendered
as "C" by the Romans).

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Andrei Stirbu <andrei_stirbu at ...>
wrote:

> > The treasure is currently attributed to the Visigothic leader
> > Athanaric, that, according to Ammianus Marcelinus, organised a
> > resistance against the invadig Huns in a place named by the Goths
> > "CAUCALAND" (i.e. Hauha-land = "Highland") in the mountains
called in
> > Latin "Montes Serorum". This place was identified with the
curvature
> > zone of the Carpatian Mountais, namely with the Siriu mountains
> > (indentifyable with the "Montes Serorum"), that are not far from
> > Pietroasa, in the same county of Buzau. It is presumed that
Athanaric

> You may know that a Dacic tribe was named Caucocensii, placed on
the map of Ptolemeus in the area close to exterior of  the Carpathian
curbure:

http://us.click.yahoo.com/7EuRwD/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM