Using DNA to find Goths

OSCAR HERRERA duke.co at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Wed Jul 26 16:00:45 UTC 2006

sounds good....oscar

akoddsson <konrad_oddsson at yahoo.com> wrote:          Regarding the use of DNA-studies to locate genetic Goths, I would
suggest the following: 1) that a basis for comparison first be
established and 2) that participation in such a study, naturally,
should be voluntary. The place to begin would be on Gutland. Now,
there has naturally been immigration to Gutland, like other areas,
such that care must be taken that the sampled population is in all
likelihood (i.e. no records or history to the contrary) descended
from much earlier Gutlanders. It is thought that Gutland experienced
much more emigration than immigration prior to it becoming a major
trade center during the Hansa-years. I am no expert on this, but it
seems reasonable to assume that the DNA of aboriginal Gutlanders
(collected before they, perhaps, disappear) could provide a measure
(including variations of old date) useful in identifying descendants
of Goths on the continent. Of course, personal privacy would need to
be protected and participation voluntary. One question would be, has
this already been done? Secondly, how would the gutlanders of today
feel about this proposal, given that opinions could vary? I think
that I lot of care and respect would need to be shown were such a
study to be done. I am assuming that a lot of folk, naturally, would
not like to be tested for some such historical reason as identifying
Gothic DNA. I myself would participate, given that it were free and
that my privacy were protected, for simple historical curiosity, but
then I am not Gutlandic and, thus, would not be participating. I did
participate in a Viking DNA project, but that was much broader than
trying to extract only an aboriginal Gutlandic sample. The typical
method would involve focusing on the 23rd chromozone and isolating
direct patrilineal descent or mitrochondrial DNA in females. It's
cheap, easy to do and allows folk to arrive at the likely lines of
descent via a sample without the expenses and time involoved in more
complicated and thorough DNA studies. Ask the experts on this for
more information than that, which I learned through participation.
Anyway, ideas and responses welcome.

Regards,
Konrad

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Carl Edlund Anderson <cea at ...>
wrote:

> On 25/07/2006 09:46, sturlus wrote:
> > Finding and defining specific Goths is even more difficult.
However, this is not our primary goal. The Black Sea area is a most
interesting place in Human history the past 10-12.000 years,
especially in indo-european studies.

> I definitely agree with that. The population and language history
of the Black Sea area is fascinating. There's doubtless a lot of
scope for studies of population genetics in the region.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/WktRrD/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM