Translation for Gk. *foberos

Arthur Jones arthurobin2002 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jul 26 20:31:22 UTC 2006

Hails thiudans!

  Re: Your search for a Gothic expression close enough to Gk. foberos:

  Jah ogs; ogs mikils. Can we try a gerundive (being waurdsokjandans ourselves)?

  What about, from ogs- root, a fear-instilling "ogjands" for starters?

  Or if the wraith is particularly shiver-inducing, how about "usgaisjands"?

  Or even the most universally surviving Germanic word I know --no, not the vulgarities, either-- "grimms".

  Arthur

  arthur.jones at yahoo.com

thiudans <thiudans at yahoo.com> wrote:
          I have need of a translation for Gk. foberos "fearsome", I've thought
of constructing something like *agis-leik-s, cf. Ic. ógurlegur. Is
anyone familiar with the way in which weak nouns of this type (ending
in -is -iz-) would form compounds? Also other suggestions are welcome.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/3EuRwD/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/GP4qlB/TM