new and in search of help Go.thunrs and thrums

akoddsson konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 28 16:58:13 UTC 2006

Hails Walhahrabn!

Some comments.

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans at ...> wrote:

> Golja igqis, Wilja jah Thiudan!
>
> I found a poetic example of Thor hallowing (or being hallowed) in
> the Edda, which could particularly help here maybe. It's Þrymskviða
> 30:
>
> Þá kvað þat Þrymr,
> þursa dróttinn:
> "Berið inn hamar
> brúði at vígja,
> leggið Mjöllni
> í meyjar kné,
> vígið okkr saman
> Várar hendi."
>
> which verse could be put into Gothic word-for-word as follows:
>
> Than qath thata Thrums,
> thaurize drauhtins:
> "Bairith inn ham(b)r
> bruth du <ga>weihan,
> lagjith Milduni
> in maujos kniwa,
> weihith ugkis samana
> Weros handau."

*qath than, as 'than' cannot stand first in Gothic, unlike in ON.
*hamars, I think, masc. a-stem, so: bairith inn hamar
*milluneis, I think, is the Gothic for ON mjollnir. The double l is
original, being from Proto-Norse *mellunijaz (w/Sievers). It means
the 'crusher', despite etymologies to the contrary via Lithuanian,
Latvian and Russian word for or relating to lightening. The relation
to lightning is natural enough, but is not confirmed by the word's
phonological development to it's ON form, hence: *milluneis
*in maujos kniwa or ana?
*weros looks correct, but I'd have to get back to you on this one ;)

> Please note that consonant stem bruths "bride" and pronoun
ugkis "we two" have the same form both for accusative and dative,
but it's accusative not dative (as it is in ON above) here, so if we
prefer to think bruths is an i-stem, then it's bruth (acc.) not
brudai (dat.).

Expected i-mutation levelled here in ON, so probably *bruths, yes.

> With "hammer" we seem to have the same problem as with "thunder".
I still sympathize with the idea that there should be a euphonic
consonant inserted between nasal and r, like *hambrs and *Thundrs.
Maybe it was not compulsory as we meet both timrjan and timbrjan.

Right. So the best move is to write conservatively after etymology,
whatever pronunciation developments may have been happening ;) It
does seem that we now have an agreement that the form *thunrs is the
correct one (see discussion of the name *thunraz on theudiskon about
this). Llama Nom correctly observed, I think, the the final -s would
be preserved in the nominative. Thiudans also correctly suggests, I
think, that the vocative would be *thunr. The reason is that the -r-
is a part of the stem, not an inflectional ending. This applies to
your translation of the ON tho:rr vi:gi; however, the imperative of
this conjugation in ON, compare: seg thu: me:r 'tell me', not *segi.
Thus, it expresses wish, I think, rather than command. This would
put the whole prase in the 3rd person, 'may tho:rr hallow...' (see
the ON conjugation). Any object would be in the accusative, but it
often occurs in ON without an object as a kind of stock-phrase
(especially in inscription).

> Is Go. *Milduneis correct? Or, maybe, *Milthuneis?

*milluneis, I think. See above. No need to postulate a ld or lth.
Here are two reasons: 1) ld would have survived in ON as **mjoldnir
and 2) lth would have become ld instead of ll - it defies the rule
of lth-to-ll because it comes before -n-. The word is shortend to
mjolnir in some ON sources, and medieval writers seem not to have
known exactly how to spell the word (ll or l), but the older form
with ll is also attested. Furthermore, this ll is also suggested by
comparison to the Baltic and Slavic, as well as from internal ON
evidence (compare mjoll, fem. o-stem 'snow', which is 'crushed' in
it's appearance). Thus, I come out against the **meldunijaz-form,
which has been suggested based on it being the correct Germanic form
based on the etymology to 'lightening' in Baltic/Slavic. The idea is
naturally appealling and appears very solid; however, the phonology
suggests instead *mellunijaz, which as it turns out, has an equally
plausible etymology in 'the crusher' - thus, this form now has two
strikes in it's favour, while **meldunijaz only has one. Also, my
feeling is that ignoring phonology in order to produce the desired
etymology is wrong. In this case, I think, the problem is solved,
both in terms of phonology and etymology by the form *mellunijaz,
Go. milluneis.

> And yet, perhaps we shouldn't disregard our absolute ignorance
about pre-Christian thunder-god of the Goths. To think he was all
the same as his later Scandinavian counterpart seems somewhat
simplifying...

I think that is was the same, simply put. Also, I don't think that
he was simply a later Scandinavian counterpart, but instead one that
is attested from a later date. The key word here is 'attested'. The
Proto-Norse speaking contemporaries of the Goths of Wulfila's time
would have had this same god, doing the same things, etc. as in the
later ON sources. They would have called him *thunraz at that time.
Religion is often very conservative and, I think, ethnic religions
like the Norse one especially so. We should recall that the Norse
were also until the viking period also the most isolated Germanics
of any sort. They were the 'backward hillbillies', the 'ignorant
rural folk' of old Germania, as evidenced by their only much later
conversion to christianity. We know that many ON folk were ardent
believers in the old gods, as evidenced by their willingness to die
for their beliefs, even against their own leaders and aristocracy
after it had started pressing for christianity (mostly a political
issue at that time in the north, not really a religious one, as the
average man was probably very ignorant about christianity, while
leaders tended to support it mostly for political/organizational
reasons instead of actual religious ones). It seems rather foolish,
I think, to assume that these old Germanics were very accepting of
change in their religion (witness the Gothic example of Athanareiks
and company also). It was too closely tied to their ethnicity. Thus,
I imagine that ethnic Goths were the most 'heathen', probably seeing
it as their own ethnic religion, inherited from their fathers, whom
they no doubt honoured. Political pressure, as well as the presence
of large numbers of non-Goths (conquered folk, slaves, enlisted co-
militarists, trading partners, neighbors, etc.), would have pressed
them toward adopting Arianism as their official creed, as other folk
would not have been able to participate in the Gothic faith, as it
was ethnic and inherited, much like Hinduism. Each folk the Goths
encountered at that time would have had their own ethnic religion.
An easy political compromise, minimizing conflict between conquered
and conquerer, is to adopt the universal religion of christianity,
where no ethnic distinction is made. Still, the Goths' perserverance
as Arianians, even after it had been banned and the Catholic model
essentially adopted by all other christians they encountered, shows
a continued sense of separatism, I think. They probably just did not
want to share their church with non-Goths, simply put. It sounds
very unchristian in the truer sense, but was in all liklihood real,
I think. Also, the Goths would, no doubt, have still cherished their
heathen ancestral faith privately, reciting the old songs and being
pround of their heritage and ancestry. Typical enough. It's really
not unique, as many cultures have adopted faiths in addition to the
inherited one (see Tibet, Japan, etc.). Somehow, they make it work.
However, I suspect that the Goths' would have lost their original
ethnic religion as time moved on, while still having maintained it
in some form within ethnically Gothic families during the earlier
Arian period. My guess is that it happened with the lost of their
language and distinct ethnic identity. Lastly, their is a current in
some forms of christianity which emphasizes that it is the only true
religion and bans belief of any other kind, however impratical this
may be and whatever the social and personal consequences. Naturally,
this current is not endorsed by most christians, now or then, and
most Arianians were likely also quite tolerant folk. The Goth's, no
doubt, would have inherited an ethnic religion that was also shared
by Gutlanders, who would have preserved it much longer due to lack
of any need for religious integration/cooperation with neighbors. I
would also suggest that Gutlanders shared common gods/mythology with
the Norse, inherited from common Proto-Germanic ancestors. Thus, we
should not be deceived or accept bizarre theories simply because we
lack attestations to the contrary. Common sense, I think, suggests
that the Goths kept up their ethnic religion and were very proud of
it, not wishing to change it, while at the same time being political
and showing great personal variation with regards to 'belief' in the
religion. Many folk are intensely proud of their culture/religion,
not wishing to change it, while at the same time being only marginal
participants in it. Should be a familiar story to anyone, I think ;)
Thus, translating the Norse rescension of this mythology, the only
surviving one, into Gothic does not bother me in the slightest. I do
believe that it was their original religion/culture and that these
were also their stories/gods. However, the wording goes back to the
Proto-Norse, rather than the Gothic, which can cause some problems
here and there in translation. Still, whole sections go seemlessly
into Gothic. Instead of focusing on what I see as a non-issue (that
Goths, as an ethnic group, shared this religion/culture), I choose
to focus on the language issues involved in such translations. What
I want to know is that every word of the Gothic is correct and that
it reads true and natural to the Gothic hear, which is, of course,
very difficult to achieve in this day and age.

Regards,
Kunjareths